Pod Your Reef

Need advise on Finger Leather Troubles (Pic inside)

sandsrfr

I'm pretty bummed at the moment. Something seems to have shocked my finger leather that I've had for quite a few months.

Somewhere around mid/late last week I noticed that the leather didn't seem to expand any more when the lights came back on (just stayed the dark color/shrunken shape that it usually went to at night).

Well, now a week later it looks no better, and tonight I have noticed this clear film that seems to be seperating from it (see picture of this).

I've want to believe that it can still make it, but I'm starting to come to reality that its dead.

I'd appreciate some comments on what ya'll think, based on the current condition (pic) of it.

From day one I tested everything and nothing was out of the ordinary. I got some other test kits for phosphate/etc late last week, and nothing came up there. Same old temp and salinity as it has always been at.

Only thing that happened was that prior to this happening, I had done some coral moving in the tank and had handled the leather in the process. It seemed fine with as it only shrunk a little and then once placed back in the same spot, it swelled back up. Something happened and it did fall over upside down and landed on some of my zoos, but I caught it probably within a few minutes of it happening (I don't think this could have caused it?).

Anyways, heres the pic, let me know what I should do.

040804_Leather.jpg

I don't want to give up on it, but I also don't want to leave it only to decay and contaminate my system (though I have stepped up my water changes lately).

Sands

btw, here it was during its prime:

http://members.cox.net/sandsrfr/2004/01290...r_Leather_3.jpg

blast the film off with a turkey baster or something. if you can, also siphon it out afterwards.

some leathers will shed as a reaction to debris/detritus/algae on its body. in nature, ever present wave action limits such crappie from settling but also aids in the peeling process. in our systems, we must take that role either manually or automatically (e.g. wave generators).

after the shedding the coral should sprout soon. if not, i would look into chemical absorption media (e.g. carbon, chemipure, etc.). there may be something it doesn't like in the water. water changes won't hurt either. hth

Thanks tinyreef

I did blast off the film a few days ago, and yesterday and saturday I did notice that it was starting to pop out some of its tentacles (?), but was not fully extended and still blackish in color. I believe it is coming back, so my fingers are crossed!

;)

Sands

Archived