inTank Media Baskets

Indo-Pacific

Demosthenes

Demosthenes

I have a 20H that I'm working on, and recently asked about a CleanUp Crew, but ended up just about as confused as what to do. So, I'm thinking about the 9 for 99 deal at IPSF.com. Here's what I plan to get:

• 6 SandBed Clams
  • 6 Baby Bristle Worms
  • 6 Nerite Grazers
  • 6 Strombus Grazers
  • 6 MicroHermits
  • 6 Hawaiian Turbo Grazers
  • Reef Amphipods (20+)
  • Anthelia Polyps
  • LS Activator (Includes LS, 6 Grazing Snails, 6 MicroHermits, and Tiny Worms)

This will give me 48 Little Buggers zooming around my tank, plus an assortment of Pods, Worms, and also Anthelia Polyps. What do you think? Will this work out?

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but if you're just starting a tank, you won't be able to feed all those mouths. There just isn't enough growth yet.

BustytheSnowMaam

Ditto on what Matt said- my critters are always hungry because I don't have any algae growth, so I'm always feeding them. Your LR will probably have amphipods and bristleworms at the very least- you will probably also get some snails, maybe even mini bristle starfish and other critters too. So, I would get good quality live rock (at least 15-20 lbs), and after your tank cycles for two weeks to a month, maybe 8 blue-leg or red-leg hermits, then get at least 10 or so baja snails.

Bajas will clean the glass, the rocks, between the sand and the glass, and they will burrow thru the sand bed as well. They are very hard-working but hermits do covet their shells. You should be able to get the snails and hermits from your LFS for about $25 or so. The diversity of what IPSF is offering sounds appealing but you'll get the same diversity from good quality live rock.

Tasha

If I were you, I'd drive over to Premium Aquatics in Indianapolis and get a pound or three of their live sand and use it to activate generic aragonite sand.

Or, if you wanna do a few real road trips, go to Inland Aquatics in Terre Haute, Harbor Aquatics up by Valpo, and Tropicorium near Detroit. Get a pound of LS and a pound or three of rock from each place and you'd be stylin' without the need to ship stuff. Just bring a couple of 5g buckets and ask if you can get some of their water to bring the stuff home wet.

That's pretty close to what I got from them for my 20L and I was really happy with it. I'd swap out the amphipods for the wonder mud, though. The pods were in good shape, but I haven't seen a single one in weeks, so I don't think they were able to reproduce before they died out. The wonder mud had some extra bristle worms in it.

If your tank's been up for awhile, I'd also consider the extra $20 for the lime green leather. It's a really nicely colored green tree leather frag. Mine's grown quite a bit in the two months I'vehad it.

HTH

Demosthenes

Thanks. I may just do that Kapelakin. Just to let everyone know. I have 60 lbs of LS that I've gotten from 3 distributors. In fact, I got 20 from P.A., 20 from H.A., and 20 from a LFS. As for LR, I have 40 lbs of Indo-Pacific LR that was used originally to cycle the tank. The tank has been up and running for about 4-5 months. It currently has a Yellow Tang in it, and is somewhat acting as a QT. I am taking in the Tang tomorrow and getting an Engineer Goby.

6 SandBed Clams

6 Baby Bristle Worms

6 Nerite Grazers

6 Strombus Grazers

6 MicroHermits

6 Hawaiian Turbo Grazers

Reef Amphipods (20+)

Anthelia Polyps

LS Activator (Includes stuff)

I HOPE YOU ARE NOT PAYING 99.00 fer this crap........

45.00 TOPS through me, but you dont live near me.. damn.

BustytheSnowMaam

My point was twofold- first, the kind of critters IPSF is selling should already exist in your live rock and live sand- shine a flashlight in at night and you'll see them. Second, as Dave suggests, I think they're charging you a fortune for those critters. If I knew a safe, efficient way to ship them or if you lived nearby, I would gladly give you what they're offering (or critters similar).

Since you live in Muncie I would do what Gobies suggested if you want more critters. I think it's fun to take a road trip to a good LFS and see what they offer.

Tasha

Archived