SaltCritters.com

High_End's Corner Of Ocean

HighEndOfTheLow

HighEndOfTheLow

Hi all,

I thought I would briefly update you.

We wake up yesterday to 2 issues... 1) a flood and 2) the tailspot Bleeny dead :(

The flood was a big worry, however it was purely the sump return hadn't been turned back on..... It was entirely my fault, I turned it off when we found a polyclad worm on the skeleton of the cataphillia. It seems that the general thoughts were that it was a snail eater. All things considered, snails are cheap and after we dipped the cataphillia in melafix and got the bugger off, it was not harmless but at least it was fairly mundane! The reason the tank overflowed is the extra 3litres that the zeovit reactor adds wasnt taken in consideration in the design..... we just have to be aware of that if we have a powercut! The SPS that become exposed when the sump return goes off were all ok, with excellent P.E all day :)

As to the bleeny- we arent 100% what happened, although we have noticed him becoming increasingly fat around his abdomen and we are putting it down to something like a tumour or internal parasite. He had been in our care 3 years or so, and it is a shame to have lost him, however, I imagine it is one of those things, particularly when he was eating like a horse etc.

It just shows, just when you think things are going well, it will be a pig just to spite you!

Thats all for now folks. If you have any suggestions for a bleeny sp. or another species of fish you reckon we should look at, please let us know,

Liz

HighEndOfTheLow
Outstanding job done on this tank. Really love the look of those mature caps.

Thanks

Will try and get some more pictures up soon!

HighEndOfTheLow
I still can't get over the protruding acro tips :happy:

Hehe yeah they are pretty cool seeing them, its also cool seeing the tips "change" morphology as they break the surface.

Another nice thing since moving from my Ca reactor to bailing ive seen a boost in growth again, towards the end as the demand got higher i was stuggling to balance my Ca reactor with my demand so i had alk jack knifing every few days or so, thankfully since going to bailing my levels are virtually rock steady still a tiny amount of teething but getting there ( even if it does DRINK alk....) i go through about 1.5lt @ 150 grams of NaHCO3 a week :o

we shall see if its cost effective vs growth/tank stability in the long run,I dont mind spending if its worth it and bicarbs cheap all things considered.

But when we get home i shall take some photos of the growth rings, other than that nothings changed really the tanks on a bit of a stand still, no money ( as i'm paying off my uni fees) but in a month or two i shall see if can treat the tank to something.

Luke

• 2 weeks later...
HighEndOfTheLow

Morning all

Thought I would update a bit.

If the last month we haven't been in the house a lot.... this is what comes of being a 3rd year. With both of us doing 2 dissertations (ie. 4 between us) there has been little change.

Unfortunately we lost the tailspot bleeny earlier in the month to unknown causes. There was no mark on him. We noticed he had become very fat and did not stop eating. We have a feeling this may have had something to do with it.

Yesterday we did a fish run to manchester and brought a couple of new fish

Firstly I would like you to meet our Cirrhilabrus laboutei

IMG_3078.jpg

The other fish we would like you to meet is our new Nemateleotris helfrichi

IMG_3084.jpg

They both seem to have settled in today. Although the helfrechi is unbelievably skittish.... We have experiences with purples but this little fella is much worse!

Within 10 minutes of putting him in, he jumped into the overflow box. Thank goodness for calfo overflows!!

he has found himself a little home now under a rock so hopefully he will calm down.

will now put in some more pictures. Hopefully I will get around to a full tank shot later

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

Enjoy!

HighEndOfTheLow
This tank makes me want to go zeo myself. Impressive to the max!

we are loving the growth we are getting and the colour. but looking at your tank mate are you sure you need zeo!? it looks amazing!

Archived