Pod Your Reef

Best algae eater for clownfish broodstock tanks?

Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Hi everyone!

I've been thinking about adding an algae eater to my broodstock tanks. I think it will be good to have some more life in there for my clowns to interact with. After my tanks go for about 6 weeks without cleaning there is a film that forms on the ground. I have to scrape it and it really disturbs the clowns. If I had an algae eater I could just siphon out the poops or the flow would carry them to the skimmer. Of course snails come to mind but what are some other good candidates? Any ideas are welcome!

Thank you for your time,

Kris

i leave the algae there. some say all that algae helps convince the clowns to spawn. if there is alot of algae it will support for fry food in the wild. i clean mine when it gets real dirty and thats about it.

Alpha Aquaculture
i leave the algae there. some say all that algae helps convince the clowns to spawn. if there is alot of algae it will support for fry food in the wild. i clean mine when it gets real dirty and thats about it.

I've read the same thing, around 1/3 of the diet of wild clowns is algae. I add Blue-Green Algae and Haematococcus Algae to my frozen food mixture to try and supplement accordingly. I only have low power flouros at 2900K that don't support a lot of green algae. I've read that clowns don't need any sizable amount of light to spawn. I'm getting more cyano and film type algaes. I'd at least like to experiment with something like some turbos or maybe a starfish or something.

FishEyeAquaculture

The algae is benificial, however if you want a good grazer, trochus snails are fantastic grazers and easy to culture!!!!

Archived