Innovative Marine Aquariums

New 5.5 Gallon

ODOG

Seeing if I did this right

50480306.jpg

50480319.jpg

Specifics for now...18 watts of PC Coralife Mini Aqualight (9 watts actinic + 9 watts 10,000k), 18 watts also over aqualcear on back.

I have 2 x 36 watt PC's waiting to go on once I finish my pendent and i need new bulbs for it.

5 pounds or so of live rock...I didn't measure the aragonite I put in. I used enough to cover the bottom with about an inch. There is about 1 pound of rock in the mini fuge and some aragonite.

For current I am using the AC 300 mini fuge which is baffled way down with the addition of the rock/sponge and surface skimmer which you can see I was tired of fooling with so I put some pebbles from our shorehouse driveway to hold it down. Also have a Powersweep in there. I might use another powerhead with attached spraybar if necessary.

I actually like having the sponge. It polishes the water and with changing water once a week i don't find nitrates to be a problem i've had a nano reef for almost 3 years. it also helps slow down the flow in the AC300. Thanks for the feedback though.

Undertheradar

I understand 100%. I dont like running sponges, but sometimes you gotta! The lettuce nudi in the new 10 gallon got sucked throught the intake strainer on the powerhead...so I now have a sponge on it as well...(oh, he lived despite the mutilation of one of his frills)

sponges are OK, they save the actual "rap" from getting down in your sandbed. Just be sure to keep on top of cleaning it :)

Sponges are a PITA, but they do work for polishing the water. Just keep a couple of them on hand to switch out. That way you aren't constantly washing them. I keep a couple in a bucket in my stand.

Archived