Cultivated Reef

I dont undrstand

NanoNewGuy

Ok this might be dumb question so dont laugh just help me to understand please. I am thinking about buying this JBJ Setup for my 20gal Tall tank. I was told this would be enough light for a bulb tip anemone. What doesnt make sense to me is that it says it comes with 2 X 65W compact fluorescent - one blue and one white 10'000K. but yet as you can see it shows 4 bulbs. 2 blue and 2 white whats the deal. Does this simply mean i can later add 2 more 65 watt bulbs or WHAT? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks all.JBJ Setup

LOL i think I figured it out on my own they are simply showing a picture for a larger model. But what does everyone think of this product? I want input

This will be just barley enough for a BTA. How much are you spending on this? I would go with a 175w halide if you intend to keep anemones. Also be sure that your tank is established (at least 3-6 months old) and stable before adding the anemone.

Understand that you will need about a radius of about 8-10" depending on the size of the anemone so that it can spread out. It WILL sting and kill other corals placed too close.

Yes i know this would be just barely enough. Problem is that i have very limited funding right now. I am in a wood shop and am making a DIY Stand for my 20 gal so i guess i could make a matching Canopy but then i need the cash for the Halide and i dont even know where to start. i know very little about them and all the wiring and fans and such seem confusing. i guess its because im new to all this stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to know the proper installations and what i need and how much it will cost. Any you sites you can recommend will help me greatly. Also if you have made a similar hood then pleaz let me know. I wouldnt want to do anything fancy just the basic Halide and fans with a flip top. Thanks all

http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?c...products_id=100

Get the pilse start, not the probe!

Get that. All complete for about 150 plus shipping. If you get 2x65 you will spend at least 100 anyway. This way you have light for everything you may want to get in the future. get a 20k bulb and be done with it. this way if you ever get a bigger tank, you can use this bulb. Beleive me, just save your money now spend the extra 50-75 bucks and get the halide. Even if you have to wait another month. Just let your rock sit and cycle longer under NO flourescents. This is a pulg and play, very easy set up.

I have made a very similar hood for an 18gallon tall.

Build a 12" Pine Canopy and just stain or paint to your liking. add 2x4" computer fans(cheap and easy to wire Just use standard ext. cord and wire nut caps.). Since you are in wood shop build the Canopy with the best access for feeding and maintenance. Preferable with two hinges, one in front and one in back. Buy the FAns first so that you can measure and cut appropriately. Leave the canopy with the back open as you will have too much heat build up otherwise.

That is what I would do if I had to go cheap and easy, and still not skimp for my animals.

Just save the money and be patient.

hey thanks for all the great suggestions but dont you think that 250w over a 20 tall is a lil too much? So all i would have to do is screw that into the top of the canopy add glass for protection from water and thats it? seems to easy. But sounds very cool.

this looks good too!

This looks really good too and only 175w i think that better. also is this setup at ready and easy as the first you showed me? looks like the same basic stuff. Any thoughts?

Archived