inTank Media Baskets

CPR Back-Pak mod question.

Singulari

Ok with a wife and two and 1/2 kids (due Jan 28) plans for upgrades to my tank are a-changing. I am now going to use an 8g rubermaid container that is tall enough to fit a Back-Bak I had lying around, as a refigium.  But with this going under the tank the water level has to be low so if there is a power loss it won't overflow. So my idea is upgrade the RIO600 to a RIO1400 and extend the intake tube down another 6 inches or so. Has anyone tried this before, or do you think it's going to work properly?

Also another stupid question, should I run the skimmer in the refiguim as it's cycling?

first, congratulations! :smoke:

second, there are no stupid questions asked.  the only stupid questions are the ones left unasked.

now your question, i understand what you're trying to do but a rio 1400's a big momma!  you're gonna have a gusher!  the rio 800's also a High Pressure model.  that's the thing about cpr's is if it's off in adjustment the thing's going to overflow (i also always had trouble with that d*mn venturi valve blowing bubbles without too much pressure :madgo:)  

i'd try the 600 first with the extended tube since you have it already, i don't know how tall the container is but i'm thinking the most you could add is one and a half feet of head.  if it doesn't work then go with the rio 800 or better yet check their flow chart versus your required head (i.e. vertical travel) and try to match up with the 600 at zero head.  i'm guessing it's the 800 but like i said it's also a special HP model.  they have two HP's 800 and 2400, i think.  good luck!

Thanks tinyreef. Hoping for a girl this time.

I looked at RIO's specs after I posted that message and figured that a 1400 could possibly cause a gyser.  

:withstupid::rocketwhore:

One more question, If the tank is a 10G and the Refgium is an 8g, would I use 18g for figuning our my many fish I could have. I'm looking to either try to get a mate for my false perc. of get another fish (maybe a manderin).

:biggrin: Just kidding.

Why not try the 600 and add some airstones to the reaction chamber?  This can be found if you do web search on backpak modifications.  It basically turbo charges the backpak.  I added 2 airstones to my backpak on my 75 and it works great.

second2n0ne

You may want the larger RIO if you are extending the intake tube.  I use a MaxiJet1200 and it works great on the 2R model.  Check CPR's website...they have a discussion forum and I have seen your question asked (can't remember what they recommended though!).

Archived