Pod Your Reef

Overflow box

Mothi

Are there any overflow boxes made for sale for smaller tanks? My intention is to have a 5-10g seahorse tank attached to a refugium to help stabalize the water chemisty. So the refugium I was going to have with it will probably be 20-29g (or larger).

My first plan was to section off a 29g or larger tank into 2 sections, but that requires gluing a partition down. This would make things difficult to change since the partition will always be glued down so increasing the seahorses side would be impossible. So now I am thinking about an overflow box, but most are built for tanks that are alot larger and have higher GPH than I want. I don't want to turbo jet my seahorses against the side of the tank or make them feel like they are in a hurricane. Any suggestions? I don't have the tools to make my own so I thought I might as well buy one. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by gotfrogs

$50 seems really expensive to me. Are there any other options out there?

The options are:

1. drill your tank

2. build your own overflow.

3. find a small overflow commercially made and spend big $$

Of the three options, I'd go with #1 first.

It doesn't take up lots of space inside your tank

It probably won't break siphon and flood your room

It is A LOT less expensive (a bulkhead and a 90 elbow... $7-ish)

Option #2 is next.

Working acrylic ain't rocket science. If I can do it, anyone can. FWIW, I AM NOT Mr. Build-it. I AM however a cheap SOB...

You can design EXACTLY what you want.

Acrylic's cheap (= by the pound) at your local plastics supplier's scrap bin. If you haven't yet, check out www.melevsreef.com for acrylic/sump info.

HTH,

Mike

Archived