Pod Your Reef

new skimmer problems ?

tarantulaman

tarantulaman

red sea prizm skimmer

The directions say to adjust the flow with the flow regulator so that the water level in the throat of the reaction chamber is just below the o-ring .

At this setting i am getting a very wet foam collecting in the collection cups Oswell as many micro bubbles in my tank . So i adjusted the flow till i had no micro bubbles in the tank but now there is no foam at all forming in the collection cups. Is this normal for a new skimmer to not skim correctly or do i need to keep t6ampering with it ? I only had it running 18 hours so far and at the setting it is at now no foam is created ? please help !

It usually take atleast a few days for the skimmer to work properly. I had a small skimmer with the same problem. I reduced the water flow into the skimmer and added an air pump with air stone. I drilled a hole through the top of the collection cup and dropped the stone down into the mixing chamber. After adjusting the water flow a bit it worked perfectly.

You have to get some "sludge" built up in the skimmer before it will really work well. It can take a few days for this to happen. In fact, AquaC says the break-in time on the Remora is up to 2 weeks, if I am not mistaken.

Archived