ReefCleaners.org

Had a really bad experience wit ha LFS

Case

I was calling around to price my AGA Bowfront aquarium in two sizes and called a shop here in New York called

PETS ON LEX

1271 LEXINGTON AVE

NEW YORK, NY10028-2003

(212) 426-0766

Any who I asked them the price of the 26 gallon and she shot back to me after yelling to some guy in the store a price of 200 and change... and that is double the suggested retail price on AGA's website.. so I said to her wow is that with the stand? immediately NO just the tank so I said AGA tank right not a acrylic rank? She said no in a hurry and I asked her why is it so much its latterly double if not more the price of the sugg... cuts me off oh so your shopping around ok so you can buy from some where else and hangs up on me....

You know im 22 all my life I have been a good kid... and all my life I have given people the respect they deserve but this women is the first that has made me want to throw a bright trough their store window...

Sigh... isn’t Aquarium supposed to be stress relievers and therapeutic or some thing? How the hell could this women be so straight up mean? Sigh... things like this discourage me about starting my first tank.. but its ok because I found my tank for 67 beans so im happy :)

Im still tempted to talk into the store and find the manager and whale on her... but im lazzy

that sucks man, you will find that many stores in it just for a pure profit and not for the betterment of the hobby.

thankfully these stores are short lived and the customer service driven stores stay open.

ask yourself if you will ever shop there again or refer a friend, the answer is no. they have lost your business and potentially much more. you can rest assured you are not the only one they have ####ed off.

the best feeling will be when youve been in the hobby for a while and have spent tons of $$ at other stores...except that one.

Originally posted by JLTRUK

the best feeling will be when youve been in the hobby for a while and have spent tons of $$ at other stores...except that one.

shh dont rub it in i cant wait im goign to start construction in about 4 weeks and im just i dont even know what to call it but i cant wait heh

Originally posted by Case

How the hell could this women be so straight up mean?

welcome to New York City! :P y'know, it wasn't very nicey-nicey under the dinkins administration (or koch for that matter). guiliani even came in as the 'tough guy' actually.

retail biz is hell and retail in NYC is the worst. should she be nicer? yeah.

but she also needs to watch out for competition who may just call and compare prices. i'm a mfg. and it happens even to me. i'm the nice one on the phone 'cause i like to babble, my bro is the mean one. :P

Originally posted by tinyreef

welcome to New York City! :P   y'know, it wasn't very nicey-nicey under the dinkins administration (or koch for that matter).  guiliani even came in as the 'tough guy' actually.

Lived in NYC all my life never had the problem but you know theres a first for everything... blah .. im not in the process of finding some trust worthy LFS gotta find some decent ones no luck yet...

hate to have to stick to mail order only

just bustin' your chops. you gotta go to the 'burbs for good reef imo.

rt. 22 in nj has 3 sw/reef shops within 10 minutes of each other: reefs, inc., ocean gallery II, and pet shanty (never been in tho). reefs, inc. is the better of the first two imo but pricey.

underwater world in roselle (about 5 min. from rt. 22) is the best shop in the area imo. altho the last two years has seen a subtle decline in his quality too. (don't tell him i said that) he's very pricey as well.

there are a whole bunch of others in nj and a couple more in ny (mainly on LI). staten island has island reef and fin. i've heard it's good but i've never been there. manhattanreefs.com has very infomative reviews. hth

Been looking around LI a bit because i have family out there close to farmingdale starting to notice dry good wise they tend to be a little on the expensive side...and its odd like the tank im lookin for is 120 out there here in manhattan i found it for 75 beans...

and like the Remora the usual going price wit hthe maxi-jet 1200 im finding to be 150 - 160 few places in LI wanted 180 was odd all ways figured NYC was more expensive in most cases...

Just my .02 :)

If you're looking for good reef stores on Long Island try:

Pets on the Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown - limited selection, but good prices.

Aquarium Adventure has a great selection, but most of their prices are ridiculous - $179 for a tube anenome, $40 for a neon goby, etc. ALthough they do have some sales that make their prices competative.

Finally, if you don't mind the hike, there's Country Critters out in Seldon - great selection, tons of frags, kinda pricey, but sometimes yo can get a good deal and the people there know there stuff.

In Queens there's Fishtown USA - limited selection, but they get different stuff in almost every week and their prices are ridiculously LOW - $35 for a purple tang, etc.

I should really start a new thread for this... but would you guys think a clone of reselleratings.com but for reef'ers be some thing you guys would want to see?

See i was thinking to my self Reselleratings is a great thing any Geek knows you need computer hardware cheap usualy order it online good prices but can get screwed so we all check Reselleratings and see what kind of experiences people have had with that store....

So i figured Why not have the same for LFS's and Online FS ?

I dont think it would be to hard to write the scripts needed in PHP and i just need to make another databasse on my existing server throw up a new domain... just a thought...

question is how bad would you all want to see some thing like this?

Originally posted by Tempest

In Queens there's Fishtown USA - limited selection, but they get different stuff in almost every week and their prices are ridiculously LOW - $35 for a purple tang, etc.

Hunting down all the stores you guys sugested but i cant find this one.. is this Fishtown from the bronx not queens?

Archived