Coral Vue Hydros

I may sound crazy but has anyone setup a greenwater and put larvae....

travisman1994

travisman1994

I may sound crazy but has anyone setup a greenwater tank and raise the larvae right in the tank. Would this work? Is there like a natural way of raising larvae..... Similar to their natural habitat?

travisman1994

......when you add phytoplankton to an aquarium it turns green..... What I was wondering is if its possible to establish an aquarium with phytoplankton and just keep the larvae in the tank with them. Or if i would have to raise the phytoplankton separately.

I may sound crazy but has anyone setup a greenwater tank and raise the larvae right in the tank. Would this work? Is there like a natural way of raising larvae..... Similar to their natural habitat?

if you try to raise larvae "naturally" you will have approximately a ONE fish per clutch survival rate, as that is the typical survival rate through meta in the wild...

travisman1994

THATS AMAZING!!!!! paneubert thanks for sharing the link..... I want to aquaculture something so bad.....I don't know what to start with..... I would like something relatively easy......any ideas?

Alpha Aquaculture

If you want to try to setup a greenwater tank like mine I can send you some of the water thats in my tank just shoot me a pm. I never added any phyto culture so I don't know what variety it is but it grows naturally with just sunlight. I'm about to drain, take out the clowns and refill it with the same water very soon. The last round of babies are ready to go into a larger tank. Plus I've seen some very cool patterns in there I can't wait to study them up close!

You could try and run a tank like mine and then in another tank run a rotifer culture. Take some water out of the phyto tank and feed to the rotifer culture every day. Then use the rotifers to feed another creature higher in the chain. I haven't tried this yet I just use the phyto I have in my freezer. It would be cool to do it naturally with sunlight.

7-4-2011

7-4-2011-011_edited-1.jpg

7-4-2011-012_edited-1.jpg

7-4-2011-013_edited-1.jpg

7-4-2011-014_edited-1.jpg

7-4-2011-015_edited-1.jpg

10-19-2011

10-19-2011-043.jpg

10-19-2011-044.jpg

10-19-2011-049.jpg

11-17-2011

11-17-2011-021.jpg

11-17-2011-023.jpg

11-17-2011-022.jpg

Its still very dark! I haven't done a water change in months! No skimmer and barely any flow.

Coincidence that you asked this. I was at an LFS yesterday and they sell greenwater. Spoke to someone there and apparently someone locally cultures it.

The guy at teh LFS was talking about a tank he was setting up with the greenwater tank set up next to the display tank, with a dosing pump set up to automatically add the greenwater as required. Sounded like a great idea.

Archived