ReefCleaners.org

Quartz Helogen Lamps

Nanite

Hi...

I was just wondering if you can use some quartz Helogen Lamps on an aquarium instead of metal halide lamps.

And would Quartz Helogen give off the proper light requirements for Marine plants and corals .

greentreepython

The double ended halogen lamps you are referring too do not produce a kelvin spectrum, that is geared towards natural sunlight. These bulbs contain only a green/yellow spectrum, much like a 6500 kelvin bulb. The phillips bulb makes a double ended bulb (T3Q) that is rated at 2000 hours via 120volts@ 500 watts. Much much too hot for a tank, much less a nano, and short bulb life. Cost is nice and they look similar to the HQI bulbs, but do not be deceived by price.

Originally posted by greentreepython

The double ended halogen lamps you are referring too do not produce a kelvin spectrum, that is geared towards natural sunlight.  These bulbs contain only a green/yellow spectrum, much like a 6500 kelvin bulb.  The phillips bulb makes a double ended bulb (T3Q) that is rated at 2000 hours via 120volts@ 500 watts.  Much much too hot for a tank, much less a nano, and short bulb life.  Cost is nice and they look similar to the HQI bulbs, but do not be deceived by price.

Iwas just asking because metal halides are really expensive here in australia..

In australia we use 240 volts from the wall socket.

Ya the volt difference was a real pain when i went there last summer, had to buy a converter and the whole bit, lol. Ya only MH will give a good light high quality light for marine life.

Ive seen Mercury Vapor Bulbs, they seem similar to the large football size bulbs, I wonder if they do anything similar to MH?

Originally posted by Scorched_Ice7

Ya the volt difference was a real pain when i went there last summer, had to buy a converter and the whole bit, lol.  Ya only MH will give a good light high quality light for marine life.  

Ive seen Mercury Vapor Bulbs, they seem similar to the large football size bulbs, I wonder if they do anything similar to MH?

Hmmm dont know about mercury vapor bulbs, where abouts in australia did you go too , i'm in melbourne / victoria , maybe i should try some of those power compact bulbs..

I went to Sydney for about 5 days, then Ayers Rock for 1, Kings Canyon and the Spings for 2, and lastly Cains for about 7. Wonderful experience. I liked Cains the most because of the snorkling in the Great Barrier Reef :)

If your tank isnt very big < 10 gal PC bulbs usually are enough for anything except light demanding sps and clams

I went to Sydney for about 5 days, then Ayers Rock for 1, Kings Canyon and the Spings for 2, and lastly Cains for about 7.  Wonderful experience.  I liked Cains the most because of the snorkling in the Great Barrier Reef :)

If your tank isnt very big < 10 gal PC bulbs usually are enough for anything except light demanding sps and clams

Cool, Yeah the Great Barrier Reef is Amazing , i went to a different aquarium place and i saw this Jebo 70 litre tank with inbuilt trickle filter, so it looks like i'll be getting this one and a new light bulb for Marine plants and corals, as the one that comes with this tank doesnt have the correct light output.

I hope all goes well for you!

Thanks for the help Scorched_ice7

I will be posting pictures of the jebo tank as i get it set up , my digital camera is a Kodak Easyshare CX4310... not bad for $185 aud....As long as it takes good close up pictures..

Archived