Coral Vue Hydros

Night Light Question

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I have four 24" bulbs over my 20gal reef aquarium two of them are coral life actinic bulbs that are blue and the other are triton 10,000k bulbs. I have been leaving the blue lights on at night and all four lights on for eight hours during the day my question is should i have all four lights on for eight hours then all of them off or is it better to leave the blue lights on at night to simulate night time lighting or does it matter which way i chose to do it also just what are they refering to when the say "MOONLITE" what type of bulb are they talking about.

Thanks for your help

personally, i think that leaving the actinic bulbs on all night would be too bright. you can simulate a sunrise and sunset by turning on the actinic about an hour before the 10k bulbs and leaving the actinic on for an hour after the 10k bulbs turned off. as far as "moonlights", people are reffering to led bulbs. they are a lot less intense than an actinic bulb and only run about one watt of power. they don't really light up the tank, but they give just enough light to see the nighttime activities of your inhabitants without disturbing them. think of it as a full moon on a actual reef. i have two blue led's on my eclipse12, and it adds a really nice effect for late night viewing. check out this link, it shows a tank with blue led's and how they did it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...t=diy+moonlight

Reefer_Buddha

ever been in the ocean at night? Its not blue, its pitch black. No reason to leave those on at night. You want to have actinic in the morning and to simulate dusk then all lights on during the photoperiod which can be 8-10 hours. Moonlights imo are lame and overrated the novelty lasts about 2 hours then youll never use them again. As far as nighttime viewing, how would you like it if someone was shining a flashlight in your window when youre gettin y0 swerve on?

the ocean is not pitch black in the middle of a bright a$$ full moon. i don't consider moonlights a novelty, but i guess it's a matter of personal preference. i have my tank in my bedroom, and i still think it looks awesome once all room lights are off. i still spend about half an hour every night doing some night time observing before i crash out. it has been said that moonlights also aid in growth and extension of coral polyps, although i don't understand how....

we don't need to hijack this person's thread with dumb jokes and funny little attachements. they haven't even come back to check the responses to their question about "moonlights", and their gonna freak when they see that it's turned into a verbal sparring session about polyp extension and the like. if you like, we can take this one to the parking lot(lounge)....

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Thanks for all of your info... I have a complex setup, especially for a beginer... I've been trying to set up a timer with 6 lights on during the day, and the timer only has room for 2 I'm using an extension cord w/ more outlets to get Four white lights on during the day and the two blues on at night... view my tanks @ www.geocities.com/joffus_j/photos.html

in the pictures all the lights are on...

i guess i'll just go get another extension cord for the blue lights

Reefer_Buddha

just replyin to your inane post jaguilar. Obviously the ocean isnt pitch black during a full moon and for the record here's a shocker..the moon isnt full everynight! *gasp* obviously from your avatar its clear where youre getting your advice. Good luck on the lights hatten_project.

Originally posted by Reefer_Buddha

just replyin to your inane post jaguilar. Obviously the ocean isnt pitch black during a full moon and for the record here's a shocker..the moon isnt full everynight! *gasp* obviously from your avatar its clear where youre getting your advice.  

wow, you're so full of useful info... did you go to college to figure that one out?.?... and if you did, was your degree in common sense?.?.. you seem to be full of it... and i could probably get just as much useful information from bikini bottom, maybe even more, than i would listening to one of your insightful posts...

barbe_hatten project, if you're still intersted in moonlights, just give them a try, and judge for yourself. good luck with your lighting... j.

Archived