ReefCleaners.org

NEED URGENT SUMP PUMP HELP

peytonk

Okay guys, so I built a PVC mame-style overflow and I've been running a 10 gallon sump on my 17.4 tank using my canister filter as the return, but it keeps getting caught up with air and eventually gets really weak and sounds like its burning up....so I need to know...

1. Can I take the top of the Eheim 2213 canister filter and submerge it in my sump and use that as a temporary return pump?

2. Which alternative pumps should I look at? I'm on a super tight budget right now but I was looking at Marineland Premium Maxi-Jet 900 Utility Pump 247gph

First you need to find the source of the air. And solve that issue somehow. Even if you do replace the pump, you're really going to hate bubbles in your return. After that, yes get a new pump. I really wouldn't trust submerging the impeller housing. Then you can sell me your eheim cheap! My maxi-jet is loud in my opinion, but does what it's supposed to. I just got a rio and am very happy with it thus far. Regardless, wish you luck!

The thing is...there aren't any microbubbles in the display or even in the sump that I can see. I might be way off on this one...but maybe canisters just aren't meant to lift water? I mean when you think about it...in most canister situations, water siphons down into the canister and gets pumped back up. Does that process differ from sucking water from ground level and pushing it 3 feet up? maybe the lack of initial force leaves the pump weak?

Like I said I could be way off, just a thought.

Archived