Cultivated Reef

Defective Tank?

KevinC

Hi all,

I did a search but didn't find a direct answer to this.

I just bought a 15g Glass tank from a LFS. The thing rocks up and down on two sides like a 1/4 inch. I also noticed that on corner of the frame has a gap from the glass bottom.

I'm not sure though if it could also be the stand that I built. Although I used a square and level while constructing it. It looked fine throughout the build.

Is this going to be OK once it's filled with the weight of the sand, rocks, and water?... Or should I return the tank and try another one, hoping for better luck?

Thanks

Kevin

if the tank is not level, for whatever reason (stand or the tank itself) this is definately not good.

find a level surface, place the stand on it again and check it out

if its not level after that, then you know the tank is in fact defective and take it back.

you definately dont want a glass tank that is not level.

I was shocked.

100% of 10 gallon tanks my LFS sells were not correctly aligned. Not 1 or 2, I mean all of them. Yup, I am picky customer. I eye-inspected all of them, cuz that's what I was going to get.

Take a look at the picture.

Left is upper right corner of tank, right is bottom right corner of tank. You can see the gap start from upper side of side glass and become larger and larger when it goes down to the bottom. Also look at picture for wideness of silcon varies from top to bottom.

I have two 9 years old 10G tank used for FW tank and hamster cage, and they are perfectly aligned. Very smoothly siliconed only at a few millimeters along with the sideline. Those 10 G tanks I've seen within a month... about 15 out of 20 have align problem... and are roughly siliconed about 1 centimeter along with sideline.

Now rate goes down to 75%... huh?

Odd thing is only 10G tank has this problem. Bigger tanks are usually well-aligned. Is it because 10G tank glass is too thin? Well... My 5G and 2.5G tank which uses the same thin glass have no problem.

Is it because 10G is very popular and its price is the same for a long time? That could be an explanation, but can't be a good excuse. What's happening to AGA?

I would say the quality of workmanship has been decreased a lot during last few years. Next time you buy 10G, check it out for alignment.

acrylic baby...acrylic :)

besides my nano cube, I only have acrylic tanks. I just cant trust the glass ones.

I have been witness to one tank busting, and having to help clean up when another tank busted.

and I can not believe that 100% are not aligned properly, that is just terrible.

Maybe bad shopping day or something. I myself still can't believe all 12 of them they had that day have this problem.

I am pretty much sure that those 10 G tank could hold water, but defenitely things are not like old days. :)

Archived