Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano Cube 10months old

JLTRUK

Hey guys, here is an update on the cube, 10 months old now. Tank is totally stock.

nano_4-6-04.jpg

The anemone already split and the clone has been removed and relocated to another tank.

This pic was taken a few minutes ago, you can see the original BTA is doing really well again.

On the left top there is some Xenia that Gils buddy Paul hooked me up with a while back. What you can not see are a tons of other xenia growing on the other side of that rock.

Moving down there are some mushrooms, there are actually many more mushrooms in this tank, when I'm not lazy I frag em out of my 100gal and toss em in here. All the shrooms in here are from my 100gal. Then there is the GSP that is growing really well. That was also a small frag that I got from a friend, about the size of my thumb nail origionally. It just attached and started to grow.

Below that a red brain, and then some more shrooms.

of course the big BTA in there

then on the right I am trying to get tons of zoos going. I have those lame brown ones running all over and also some pink and green ones coming in nicely and also some oriange ones below that. Those are small frags still.

Then you see the goby and my clown.

brain.jpg

here is a closer, better shot of the brain. It is actually really small, its smaller than many of the shrooms in there.

I just got a new digicam, and as soon as I can get some nice macro shots I will update.

Thanks for lookin!

hey jl nice tank bro. word of advice on using flash when taking tank shots.... don't. the flash has a really low kelvin rating (ie really yellow light) so it makes tanks look like @$$. justcompare you firsh pic to your send pic to see what i mean. (if you used flash in the second pic it didn't hit the tank directly so it didn;t effect it as much.)

dude, good call!

I was sitting there thinking the same thing, I was oblivious to the Kelvin ratings and so forth, but I did realize the flash made the tank look like crap. so I am sitting there trying to take pics with no flash with just holding the camera. BLURRY! so I go grab the tri-pod and man...SWEET!

thanks for the info...here is a WAY BETTER pic

nano_no_flash.jpg

AWESOME!

GoldStripeMaroon

JLTRUK

Those have to be some of the best looking GSP I have ever seen posted!

LOL. Just so I make sure I did not miss read, could you please repeat what kind of lighting you had used with success for the past 10 months, because I know it wasn't stock.

(Actually, I really hope it is if you get my drift :) )

Nice pic, please feel free to post more, sweet setup, and I love those Goldstripe Maroons obviously!

hey thanks, the light is totally stock...24watt 50/50 bulb that it came with

actually, let me clarify, it is the second stock light. The first ballast burned out and I took to the store I bought the cube from my hood and they gave me a new one...with a new stock light.

I will definately be posting more as soon as I can get used to my new camera. The one I am using new, is my Sony Cyber Shot and is a 3.2 mega pixel with no real zoom. I got a new camera, a Nikon somethin or other with 5 megapixel and zoom and all that crap so we'll see how that one works. I work at a computer store...I gotta use my employee discount for something.

I believe him when he says it is stock, I seen a full stock Nano at Dr. Foster and Smiths Outlet store today in Rhinelander and it was covered with corals. No sps or extremely light demanding lsp but every softie you could think of and it was crammed full. Could hardly see the rock. Nice tank JL

DangerMouse

If you could sustain an anemone with the stock lighting is it safe to assume you would be able to keep many other things as well? I'm breaking my 37 gallon tank down to a smaller tank and had a small Candy Cane coral frag I was hoping to keep. Would it be ok with that lighting?

I am not much of an expert on corals like the candy coral, but before I went and dumped tons of money on light, I would do a modest setup, and since its just a frag you can see how it is doing.

You can always add more if you need it.

For your 37gal I would start out with something like a 96watt PC and go from there. Lights are a daily expense, and running lights unnecessarly is not only an expensive initial cost but also a monthly one.

I used to run halides over my 100gal, 3 250watt bulbs, and I switched to 2 96watt PC 50/50's. My electric bill went down tremendously, my tank stays cooler and all the corals I have in there are doing very well.

DangerMouse
Originally posted by JLTRUK

I am not much of an expert on corals like the candy coral, but before I went and dumped tons of money on light, I would do a modest setup, and since its just a frag you can see how it is doing.  

You can always add more if you need it.

For your 37gal I would start out with something like a 96watt PC and go from there.  Lights are a daily expense, and running lights unnecessarly is not only an expensive initial cost but also a monthly one.

I used to run halides over my 100gal, 3 250watt bulbs, and I switched to 2 96watt PC 50/50's.  My electric bill went down tremendously, my tank stays cooler and all the corals I have in there are doing very well.

Well, I have a 250 watt MH on my 37 gal right now. What I'm doing is getting rid of the 37 gal and moving to something smaller. I was looking at the nano cube as one of my options. I just wanted to know if the lighting would be sufficient for the corals I have now and how to get a handle on the temperature issue. I read that your nanocube is complete stock and it looks great . I was curious to know how to dealt with temperature.

I have an ebo heater in the back chamber and it clicks on when the tank gets too cold. The room all my tanks are in is brick, and the constant temp of the room is like 79-80. I have the heater in just for posterity, I am certain it rarely clicks on (possibly just in the evenings) the tank temp is a steady 79-82. 79 at nights and like 81-82 when the lights are on.

Archived