Pod Your Reef

25G Lighting Question

Nash Nano

I am interested in starting a new Nano and am considering Acrylicman's 25g tank. The measurements are 23x15x15 (12 to the sump). I am looking for a clean look, so I would not be interested in modifying the hood to accomadate MH's. I would like to have a clam though. The more watts the better, i guess? Any suggestions on lighting? Any suggestions on ballast (internal or extrernal)? Would I need a built in fan for cooling due to acylic retaining more heat? Also, where is a good place to buy online? What would you do if you were me?

Thanks in advance.B)

Originally posted by Nash Nano

What would you do if you were me?

Open top with Metal halide pendant. Still a clean look IMO, and good if you plan on keeping clams.

greentreepython

You want to melt the tank? You will have to mount the light at least 8 inches above the water level, its the only way to safely disperse heat without the use of a chiller, or having the tank outside in siberia.

I've got a 29g with a 250W MH. However, I do use a MH hood which raises the bulb to ~8-9 inches abover the water line. In addition I use 2 variable rate fans (both blowing in the hood) to keep the tank a fairly consistent temperature.

If you put a halide in the canopy over a 20 I would highly suggest 2 fans, one in and one out build into the canopy. 4" preferably. Provided you have AC there should be little heat issues even with a 250, just don't do a 400 without a chiller.

I would agree with Jahkaya if you do not have rear or top canopy ventilation. If you do, then you can do one in and one out or both in. The reason I went for both in was that I had read of a few reefers who lost the out fan due to evaporation and mineral deposits interfering.

Archived