Pod Your Reef

Best Clean-Up Crew for Beginner

eddiecore

Hey guys. This is my first post. I got a 12 gallon Nano Cube last night, filled it with Caribbean sand (about 1.5 inches high) and seawater. I also put in 7 pounds of live rock. I've got two questions for you guys.

1 - When is the right time to add in a clean-up crew? Some have told me to wait a week, others said I can start adding crabs and snails within a day or two, and some have told me to wait a month before I put anything in there.

2 - What's the best clean-up crew for a beginner? I don't want to spend too much either.

Thanks for the help!

Joe_the_Hun

I set my tank up about a month ago, same nanocube, with a full bag of live sand (20lbs i think) and 14lbs live rock (fiji). Within a week I had no nitrite and ammonia. Nitrates were about 8ppm. Based on what I read here, you shouldn't add anything until ammonia and nitrites are zero, minimally. Some nitrates can be tolerated. Anyways, after the first week I added five red hermits (I believe it is 1 hermit for every 2 gallons). In addition, I added 2 astrea, 3 margaritas, and 2 nerite snails. This co-incided with the beginning of the diatom (brown) bloom. I do weekly 2 gallon water changes and everything seems to be in order.

Given that you explicitly point out that you're looking to save your hard-earned money, follow the path of the patient. If you start adding animals within the week, you will be replacing them within a month.

The cycle will and should take place with no cleanup crew present.

There is absolutely nothing holding you back from having a fully stocked tank inside of two weeks - except common sense. Seriously, don't do it. It's money down the drain.

If you haven't invested in the full compliment of water testing gear - then wait the month. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Regardless of the course you choose. Follow the basic rules - No ammonia. No nitrites, prior to adding any livestock.

Oh,

also, you get my 2 cents for free :)

You'll want more LR, and realize that the addition of significant amounts of liverock later once your tank is established, has the potential to kick off another 'mini-cycle'

Basically, I'm saying that if you plan on adding more LR, do that before starting to stock your tank at all.

As for recommendations:

I think Joe's recipe is right on.

Archived