Coral Vue Hydros

Clownfish pairing up behavior?

travisman1994

travisman1994

My 20g high saltwater tank has been up for at least 4 months. I have two clownfish one is bigger then the other. I noticed that they both have spams and shimmer really quickly. Its strange its not just the small one either. But both of them do it. Its kind of awkward how they do it only when they are close to each other at a particular rock that they hang out near. They also peck at the surface of the rock. I currently breed freshwater angelfish and I got lucky with that starting when I was 11. I know that when my angelfish lay eggs they lock lips than peck at a surface. Do clownfish peck at surfaces as well? Could my clownfish be getting ready to lay eggs or is my tank still too new for this to be happening?

My 20g high saltwater tank has been up for at least 4 months. I have two clownfish one is bigger then the other. I noticed that they both have spams and shimmer really quickly. Its strange its not just the small one either. But both of them do it. Its kind of awkward how they do it only when they are close to each other at a particular rock that they hang out near. They also peck at the surface of the rock. I currently breed freshwater angelfish and I got lucky with that starting when I was 11. I know that when my angelfish lay eggs they lock lips than peck at a surface. Do clownfish peck at surfaces as well? Could my clownfish be getting ready to lay eggs or is my tank still too new for this to be happening?

Knowing the age and size of the female (the bigger one) would really help. It sounds like the pecking at the rock could be them cleaning it. The rest of the behavior is what I understand as mating behavior.

Archived