SaltCritters.com

Smallest tank for just a clownfish

zacheyp

Hey guys, i am looking to get a clownfish for a desktop nano reef. I am only looking to keep corals and 1 designer clown, what is the smallest tank i could get.

Thanks and happy holidays.

If you want to follow the rules and set up your tank correctly then a general rule of thumb I like to use is 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water. So, I would say 15-20 gallons depending on how large your clownfish becomes.

HTH- Wizzy :happy:

If you want to follow the rules and set up your tank correctly then a general rule of thumb I like to use is 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water. So, I would say 15-20 gallons depending on how large your clownfish becomes.

HTH- Wizzy :happy:

Wrong.

If you read the profile that was written on this forum it states that a True Percula Clownfish can be kept alone in a 7 gallon tank minimum. If you are going to add rock and a lot of corals I don't know if that still applies. My pair seem to be very active and are about the size of a dime and are currently in a 6 gallon aquarium. They do get big and I am building a bigger tank for them but one in a 7 gallon tank should be fine if you don't overcrowd him. They also really like water movement. Mine surf in it all day.

you could get an occy clown and be fine in a 8. It depends on you "fish morals" i guess. some people will say only keep in 20+ while others will say you can keep a pair in a 6. It all depends on the amount of work and maintenance you want to be preforming on the tank. The smaller the tank the more frequent water changes you should be preforming and by more i mean A LOT more. You'll find varying opinions here, but in the end it is what you feel comfortable with.

Get the largest tank you can afford to maintain and put the fish in it. Your water quality will be better for it. Don't try to aim for the minimum because once you get started anyway, you'll end up stocking it with more things than you originally planned...it's a slippery slope.

I agree with rbaby

#1 research how much money monthly you can afford to put into your slice of the ocean.

#2 read-read-read- and well read EVERYTHING you can about the fish,corals,inverts,salt being used, rock, type of water to use, test kits, sand, ect ect ect , its a long list sometimes.

Then when your sure the items that you have researched is what your going to be using,buying,feeding,cleaning. READ MORE about them before it enters your tank. or using it.

what goes in you tank - hardely ever comes out easly lol..

#3 NEVER stop asking question, reading and studying about your reef and all that lives in it.

#4 HAVE FUN, Dont get caught up in what some people say is write or worng, its all about what quality of life you can offer your tank.

#5 Im very sure there is alot more basic and advanced "rules" and "guides"..

Honestly I just drove the person who got me into this hobby cracked with questions. and Thank God for NR people being helpful.

Wrong.

I'm confused as to why I'm "wrong". I know that inches of fish per gallons of water is a very general guideline, but I think that it can help someone new to the hobby not to overstock a tank.

-Wizzy

I'm confused as to why I'm "wrong". I know that inches of fish per gallons of water is a very general guideline, but I think that it can help someone new to the hobby not to overstock a tank.

-Wizzy

But it's the opposite of accurate.

1. There's rock and maybe coral which will take water volume.

2. As I've stated before it isn't accurate(i.e a 12 inch tang in a 60 gallon won't work)

HTH

But it's the opposite of accurate.

1. There's rock and maybe coral which will take water volume.

2. As I've stated before it isn't accurate(i.e a 12 inch tang in a 60 gallon won't work)

HTH

+1

The one thing most people forget to take in effect is swimming room. Not gallons. This is why the rule is not always correct.

altolamprologus

A good rule of thumb is to have the open swimming area 6 times longer and 4 times wider than the fish (of course sedentary fish don't need as much and very active fish need more). So for a 3 inch occy clown, the tank should be at least 18 x 12. A standard 10 gallon should work fine as a minimum, assuming you don't crowd it with rock and coral. Although I would go for a perc rather than an occy since they stay a bit smaller.