Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Red Algea/ Cyano-Algea/ "Red Slime"

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I have a 20gal. setup that has been running for over a month... after the first week two damsles and 40-50 lbs of live rock were introduced and did great...

Week 4 brought the addition of 3 crabs, 2 red-striped turbo snails, 1 giant mexican turbo snail, 2 clowns, a trumpet coral, a bubble-tip anemone, and some purple/red mushroom corals...

In the past few days and the recent days before the additions the tank developed a lot of Red Algea/ Cyano-Algea/ "Red Slime" AND also some hairy green algea... my first question is wether or not the red stringy algea is coraline-algea and is it fine other than being an eye-sore???

I did a 25% water change the next day after the new additions and sucked of some of the red stringy stuff with the siphon tube, but it was already coming back the next day...

I've bought 3 gal of R/O water... my lighting is all timed (8 hrs/day untill the coral become aclimated).... i suplement with liquid calcium and iodine (stress coat with water changes)... Also, i have 280 gal/hr Penquin bio-wheel filter, so there is plenty of water agitation

I want to control this red and green algea...

Next week i will do a 5 gal R/O water change and cut my light back down to 7 hrs/day.... also i'm going to suck the red stuff off again and if it grows back i think i will try some Chemi-Clean

If you have any other Tips or suggestions Plz share... i hope this helps anyone who is having the same problems.. by summing up what other info i've read on this forum... ???

Red stringy algae is NOT coraline. Coraline looks like pink or purple splotches on the rock/glass. What you have is your basic cyanobacterial bloom. Check your phosphate levels. The biggest contributor to phosphates is overfeeding, next is your water source (and SOME salt mixes).

Test your water in the tank for phosphates. Then test your source water BEFORE mixing the salt...then check it after mixing. That way, you can isolate where it may be coming from. If it is in your source water, you might want to consider getting your own RO unit. If it is in the salt, DEFINITELY change brands.

dude stop sucking the red stuff! Just get chemi-clean, better for all of ya... just be SURE to do the water change when it's done.

Not sure what sort of circulation you have......I seen cyano pop up in areas where I have low flow.....increase the flow it goes away!

Archived