inTank Media Baskets

Refugium plants

Mothi

I used search looking for information pertaining to red mangroves, seaweeds, and turtle grass. There are still a few things I couldn't easily seek the answers too.

Just some background on what I am trying to do. I want to set up a 29g tank that will be split into two compartments. One is the a refugium and other smaller one is for dwarf seahorses. But back to the refugium part with questions.

Red Mangrove.

I ordered some pods online that hopefully will arrive in a week. My question is what substrate (not mud) to use with it and how thick? I know substrate is not going to matter for a while, but I don't want to have to completely redo the tank just because I didn't plan ahead for the roots to hit the bottom.

Seaweeds.

Most are illegal in CA and I don't want to get in trouble. What seaweed types or other plants do you suggest for the refugium that are legal?

Turtle Grass.

Same questions as the mangrove when it comes to substrate. But for this one, I want to plant some on both sides. So, how thick should the substrate be. Also, where can I buy some at a good price? Any special consideration when putting turtlegrass in a tank? Height? Growth Rate? Problems keeping alive?

Anything I am missing?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
DaxAlbrecht

As for the Turtle grass, You would probably want to go with med/fine sand at about 3 inches deep. Check out FloridaPets.com

-Dax

Archived