Top Shelf Aquatics

16" Light for 5gallon nano

dwatson

Hey everyone. I've been searching all over the place for a suitable 16" light. I have a 5 gallon glass tank that measures 16"X9"X10" and I would like to use a power compact setup on it. I've found one 16" setup, but it's ~$150 and I'm looking to spend no more than $100. If a hood is included I might spend more. If anybody could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

-Doug

You might be able to fit this into a stock AGA light strip,

http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/Itemdy00.aspx

It is only 14in long and even if you had to buy this and a stock light strip to put it into it would be under $100.00.. Or if you get a stock AGA incandescent light strip for the 5.5 gal and if it has 2 sockets you could use 2 Coralife 20 watt 50/50 screw in bulbs which would give you 40 watts and be well under $100. I have not done either of these things . But I have put one of the Coralife 20 watt screw in bulbs in my stock light strip for my 2 1/2 gallon nano and it's been working great and only cost about $25.00 total. Anyway just trying to give you some ideas....

I have a 5.5 gallon that i'm going to use a 17.5" light on. I have a kit form www.ahsupply.com 2x36 watt pc's. I'm making a DIY enclosure for the lights just like the ones they sell there. I know it's a little big (wide) for the 5.5 gallon, but i'm going to hang it pendant style. the 2x36 watt will run you about $60 + 2 bulbs about $18 a piece. So you are at $100. The wood for my enclosure was $10 + some sealer + some black fleckstone paint $3.

You could also try 2- 2x13 watt bright kits. the kit comes with a 17" reflector so you would have to trim it a little with some snips. Those kits are only $30 a piece + $6 -$8 a piece for the bulbs. So you are at $100 again, but less light, but smaller bulbs....

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm gonna go with the idea you had, ODOG. I can easily build a small enclosure with supplies I already have. I was wondering what two bulbs you would suggest for the 2X36 watt setup? Here are the choices they have at AHSupply:

6700K $15.99

10000K $16.99

Medium Blue $16.99

Dark Blue 03 $17.99

10000K/Dark Blue 03 Combo $17.99

D, I only have experience with what I used which were the 10k and actinic 03. I liked the look. I bought it a few years ago for my 10 gallon and it was plenty of light. It should be great on a 5.5. I'm doing the same thing and in fact just built my enclosure last night. My enclosure is a little big for a 5.5 but i'm going to hang it above the tank a little. I'll post some pics after easter. Would love to see yours when it's done!

• 2 weeks later...
BillyPrefect

I went with 4 X 14 Watt 15 inch fluorescents from ZooLife or ZooMed or whatever. I bought a 50/50, a 10,000K, an actinic and a 6500K. The bulbs were on sale for $12 a piece, and I just robbed parts and ballasts from a normal fluorescent canopy. Stuck it all on some 1/2 plywood and marine coated it black on the outside, white on the inside. Works out to just a shade over 10 Watts/gallon of normal output fluorescents, with the complete spectrum covered (up to 10,000 K anyway)

Archived