Cultivated Reef

Victor's 6Gal Fluval Edge Reef

darthvictor

You're tank looks really nice....inspiration! I just set my Edge up at the beginning of the month, trying to work my way up similar to yours. Keep the updates coming! :D

Thanks! You should keep a tank journal as well :) Sometime you don't notice it change much since we all look at our tank everyday (I know because I can't look away from it) but with weekly pic you will notice it keeps growing and growing all along :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am getting the 12g on Thursday and can't wait.

Did you retro fit the lights?

I added epoxy for more support area then glue the LED strips on, see pic:

post-68550-1328126461_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Can we get more pics of the custom lighting? Also any info on the eco Pico led mods you performed.

I just add eboxy to provide support for the ecopico led strips, now I have add a full blue ecopico strip, just put it right on the glass top as moon light. I can try take more pic of it

those look familiar ;)

Hey March, I actally found there is a small scallop/clam on the Favia frag :) at first I thought it is just some shell on your liverock but when one time I moved my light, it closes! well it is not those pretty clam you have but it is interesting to have indeed :)

Really cool looking tank, I like the xenia right in the middle. Once they get bigger it's going to look even better. Great job

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How have you liked having a Fluval edge? I had a nano-cube some number of years ago, which was destroyed in a flood, and have been lurking around this site looking for inspiration to get back into the hobby.

My LFS has a Fluval edge on sale for $140 which seems like a great deal for such a stylish tank, but I have heard some negative things about them being hard to clean and not being good for beginners (which I certainly still am) .

I'm just wondering if building an AIO my myself would be better, or if the Fluval edge functions fairly well, given a few need upgrades (in lighting particularly) as a reef tank.

I'm just starting my first reef using the same tank and this is exactly the setup I'm mirroring (with different LED lighting)

Want to start off with a xenia, add an ocellaris and if I can keep those 2 move on to some other corals.

Victor can you specify what kind of sand you have and what your maintenance routine is? WC schedule, cleaning etc... anything you would have done differently?

darthvictor

I like it and it is my first tank so it is good enough for beginner haha, but it has its shortcoming, as it is hard to clean and opening is limited so you need a small hand :P but other than that nothing bad about it :)

If they are still selling the older version, you may want to pick that up since it will be even cheaper ( since you will be upgrading the light anyways) AIO, i don't know, I am sure you can put a bottle on top of the opening, i add half cup water every two days i think.

How have you liked having a Fluval edge? I had a nano-cube some number of years ago, which was destroyed in a flood, and have been lurking around this site looking for inspiration to get back into the hobby.

My LFS has a Fluval edge on sale for $140 which seems like a great deal for such a stylish tank, but I have heard some negative things about them being hard to clean and not being good for beginners (which I certainly still am) .

I'm just wondering if building an AIO my myself would be better, or if the Fluval edge functions fairly well, given a few need upgrades (in lighting particularly) as a reef tank.

darthvictor

My sand is the white fine grade sand. 1 Gal WC weekly on saturday (sometime on friday night if I have things to do in the weekend), the tank is 6 gal and with all the rocks and stuff in there, 1 Gal WC is more than enough.

I feed Green Chromis twice a day ( in the morning and when I got home after dinner, very little each time, which usually the cleaner shrimp will take its share)

I feed LPS shrimp (frozen box, peel off shell, put in blender without water) from supermarket once a week (usually wednesday), Coral Frenzy or Roti Feast on thursday ( only use a little bit as the tank is small). top off with fresh water every other day. That's about it :)

I'm just starting my first reef using the same tank and this is exactly the setup I'm mirroring (with different LED lighting)

Want to start off with a xenia, add an ocellaris and if I can keep those 2 move on to some other corals.

Victor can you specify what kind of sand you have and what your maintenance routine is? WC schedule, cleaning etc... anything you would have done differently?

I feed Green Chromis twice a day ( in the morning and when I got home after dinner, very little each time, which usually the cleaner shrimp will take its share)

Thanks for the reply Victor! I think I'll be staying away from a Chromis...twice a day! Ack!

What about water testing? Once a week? Do you test Mag, Alk and phos (in addtion to ammonia salinity etc.) Also what are you putting in your AC20? Or did you switch to another filter?

darthvictor

well I am sure I can just feed my fish once a day with the same total amount of food I feed it, just that I feel it has better chance to get the food, as the cleaner shrimp is bigger than the chromis and always hungry for more XD

I check salinity every other day just to be sure but it usually hold stable in two days, there why i said I top up every two days. Water testing once in a while like a month, only have the API Saltwter Reef Master Test Kit.

AC20 has only the Chemi-Elite and Poly-Filter Pad.

Thanks for the reply Victor! I think I'll be staying away from a Chromis...twice a day! Ack!

What about water testing? Once a week? Do you test Mag, Alk and phos (in addtion to ammonia salinity etc.) Also what are you putting in your AC20? Or did you switch to another filter?

Archived