Innovative Marine Aquariums

Question about MH on a 46 gallon bowfront

tackman

Do these lights look ok for a 46 gallon bowfront?

I'm new to this game and want a light source that would support a variety of life.

2 175w METAL HALIDE RETROFIT & BULBS NEW

I priced the stuff and I don't think I can build it for that price.

On HelloLights, I come up with $226 without reflectors or wiring.

Anyone see a problem? Any advice is appreciated.

I dont see why not but the determining factor is the hood. Plastic, wood, metal? and cooling, possibly some UV protection.

just my .02

I was going to look for either something I can use as a pendant ( Some Regent Flood light ) or build a pendant out of wood to house both lights.

Thats the best I could come up with... any suggestions?

A good friend of mine has a 46gal bowfront. He refuses to admit that his coralife light just isn't cutting it. We took out his 400w Metal Halide lamp (6500K!) and just set it above the tank, and WOW! You will be quite pleased by the look of good metal halides in the 46bow.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Incidentally, for your pendant design keep in mind that metal halide bulbs are more efficient and last longer when they burn *HOT*. Don't ventilate where the bulbs are, just be sure that the heat that the bulbs generate doesn't affect the tank too much (hood is hung ~6-9" above the tank).

hth

-q

Great! Thanks for the tip about the heat. I thought poeple were always worried about them getting too hot. I was going to put them around 10" to 12" above.

This kit includes Advance M57 magnetic ballasts. I know they are going to hum.... but can anyone give me an idea of how loud they will be?

Not sure how loud the ballasts will get, but to help control the noise:

1. Remote the ballasts in an enclosure (metal, wood, whatever works. just ventilate it!)

2. Line the ballast enclosure with sound deadening material. No, I don't specifically mean dynamat. Roofing paper (fiberglass impregnated with tar) works quite well for this task.

3. If all else fails, make a noisy overflow. You won't notice the ballast hum anymore!

-q

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't bought them yet.

I was wondering... I know you sent the link to the probe set, but would the pulse set be better?

The pulse would be, but they are sold out. You have the ability to run a greater variety of bulbs and the bulbs run a bit bluer on the pulse and they generally have longer life.

not at all. If you get 20ks it might even be a bit dim IMO. I love blue so I stepped it up to 400's (even though the right 250 DE has more par than a 400). If you have no actinic supplement go with the 20k xm's and be done with it.

Man... 2 - 250watts sure does seem like a bunch of light for a little 46 gallon tank. I don't think those spider reflectors will fit above my tank!:o

I don't know about 20ks... they seem too blue. I really like the look at that XM 10k bulb. What about the 12 or 15k bulbs?

Thanks for the tips.

Not only would you have a shadow, but you would not have the best spread. The best of both worlds in regards to the bulb would be the 14k hamilton. If you like the xm 10k the the 14k would be perfect for you without actinics.

I would highly recommend at least two halides.

/agree

Two Halides. I'd go with 2 150W DE's, but that's just me.

Also, I like the Aqualine AB 10,000K bulbs. They really run around 13,000K.

Ok

150 DE's sound good.

What do I need to get for ballasts? Any suggestions about what and where to get them?

The Aqualine AB 10,000K bulbs sound good. Where do you get those.

Can I do these in one of the regent lights? Which model works well?

I'm ready to run this this. Just point me where to go...;)

Tack:

Do you have money for the DE systems? if So I still say step it up to the 250 DE fixtures. The cost will only be slightly more. you can then use these lights for a bigger tank too and not have to upgrade. Go with a 14k hamilton and get a good amount of blue, but with the HQI ballast they will still run very white and bright.

ROIII pendant, with the Bluewave HQI ballast will give you the most bang fro your buck.

You should get the most optimum color and growth with this setup with no problem with SPS and Clams all the way to the bottom of the tank.

That and the resale value will be very high.

I'm still trying to understand why you say the ballast in that kit will make the light look yellow. It contains 2 Advance M57 magnetic ballasts. They are the same ballasts that Hellolights.com and many other sites sell. I don't know why it has anything to do with it coming from www.petsupplyliquidator.com

Can you explain because that 2x175 watt retro kit looks like a good price to me at $219.99 with bulbs. They also have a 2x250 for $243.

Anyone out there running Advance M57s?

When it comes to the color of bulbs the ballast can make all the diffrence. For instance, if you run 400w raduims on a Probe start the will be just a normal blue 20k, on a pulse start they will be very blue and on an HQI they will have a good amount of white to them. Also another case in point 14k hamiltons run white with a tint of blue on HQI and blue with a hint of white on Electronic ballast.

I have just read a couple of threads over the years stating that their ballasts are crap and in particular Crakeur had purchased from PSL ran way yellow. If you are going for Cheap get a dual pulse start from PFO or eballasts from Icecap or ARO/hellolights. If you have the money go Sunlight supply all the way.

That may be cheap, but I wouldn't trust it.

Archived