Innovative Marine Aquariums

Also Need Large Reef Aquarium - does this look like a good deal?

ross76053

If it is salt creep it's easy to remove, just wash it off.

I'd want to see it before I bid any thing on it. If the stand and hood need refinishing/painting it will be a job. It looks like a "marbled" finish and it would be hard (but not impossible) to touch up.

It will need new lights, if you are planning to make it a reef NO will not cut it. I'd also want more info on the sump and pumps.

I really don't know what it's worth maybe someone else will know.

Ross,

I dont mean to rain on your parade but IMO that is not a good deal even at $300

1. After seeing a 8' piece of glass stuck 5' into a wall from a 120 that blew up used tanks should be REALLY REALLY cheap.

2. That stand and canopy look like they have been through he11 you would need to rescrew and glue the whole thing I'm afraid.

3. Salt creep is just the crusty stuff that brushes off I'm thinking this guy has CaCo3 not salt creep that will take either a he11 of alot of vinagar to soak or alittle Vinagar and alot of scrubbing.

4. if the stand and canopy were alowed to get into that kind of condition how was the tank treated?

Really these are JMO and the whole setup could be in perfect condition at that point I would pay $2 per gallon everything included.

Good luck,

Toy

All I can say, is that if I had to choose ANY tank to buy used... it would be an Oceanic. They are excellent quality. I personally would pay that much for it... JMO

Depending on how much the reserve is I'd go with the new 100 gallon. Although you'll have to DIY a canopy for it. The other tank's stand and canopy look kinda beatup. I'd go see it before you buy anything.

I wonder what the guy selling the 135 did with the leopard shark.

While a 135 gallon tank would be sweet to have, the shape is not really great for a reef. Long rectangles means even more lighting, unless you want to build up the center under the lights. We have a 160 gallon in my office and aside from the very expensive pc lighting we had to add a chiller that not only cost a kidney, it adds an ugly amount of money to the monthly electric bill. A tank that size and shape might be better suited for fish only and less heat happy lighting.

Yes, the tank can be used for a reef but you might be better off with a taller, less wide tank. This allows you to build a wall of rock, keeping different critters at different heights, they way they are found in the wild. Also, the more square tank will be smaller and will cost you less when buying a pump and a chiller.

Gah, it's early. If that doesn't make sense, ignore me.

Crakeur,

Yep - that does make sense - all of it. I was planning on refinishing the stand/canopy anyway, but not sure I want to pour that much money into a tank right now. Sounds like it could be close to $4000 stocked.

Thanks all for the help - think I'll pass on bidding.

I've seen the tank/stand that lizbeth found on on Ebay (link above) - sells in the stores around here for $350. A pretty good price. I'll probably bid on it.

Ross

Archived