ReefCleaners.org

moon light advise

c_hemmerich

c_hemmerich

i have a small 5.5g and i would like to know if there is anyone out there who set up a moon light system but who did not install the lights into the canopy. I am really not too got with soldering so i would prefer something that i could hook on to the tank or stick to the side... also if i do this do u feel that the light spectrum would be strong enough for the led's to even have an effect??

exlfsemployee

I have a 10 gal via aqua that I just made a moon light for. I did put my light into the canopy but I didnt have to solder, I only needed a pair of snips and needle nose pliers. I went to auto zone and bought a 4" "neon" tube. its just 4 LEDs in an acrylic tube. I bought a 12v AC/DC converter and spliced the wires.

1. I connected the two negatives with a krimp and some electrical tape

2. I connected the positives to a automotive toggle switch with krimps and electrical tape.

3.I used the double sided tape that came with the light to mount the LEDs behind the glass in my hood.

it took about 20 mins to finish and it works great. I have never done anything like this before and I didnt find this to be difficult at all. if you do decide to do this make sure that you identify the positive and negative wires correctly

I hoped I helped. if you have any questions feel free to PM, IM or email me.

IM = jeveltr on AIM

email = roberteckels@yahoo.com

good luck

Archived