Top Shelf Aquatics

Clown Gender question

SRGaudio

So, i have been reading around, and i am sure this has been asked before, but google seems to give varied answers. If a Paired male has his mate die, and is alone for a few months, will he turn female? I know that once female always female, but wasn't sure about male. Thanks!

yes but it will take longer than a few months. karge

Well how should I proceed, I would like to pair this guy with another, but I am having a hard time finding a female that is reasinably larger

altolamprologus
Well how should I proceed, I would like to pair this guy with another, but I am having a hard time finding a female that is reasinably larger

I would try to find a male or gender neutral mate. If your clown did indeed turn female and you introduce another female, the result could be deadly.

phillyclownfish
yes but it will take longer than a few months.

Do you have a link to explain how long it takes? I have always read that the timing for it to occur is unknown (forget what book I read this in). Would be nice to know how long it usually takes for a change in gender. Thanks.

altolamprologus
Do you have a link to explain how long it takes? I have always read that the timing for it to occur is unknown (forget what book I read this in). Would be nice to know how long it usually takes for a change in gender. Thanks.

After thinking about it, the clown is probably a female. Excerpt from Joyce D. Wilkerson's famous "Clownfishes" book: "Upon the loss of a female or male, this entire conversion in gender can be completed in a month or less."

phillyclownfish
After thinking about it, the clown is probably a female. Except from Joyce D. Wilkerson's famous "Clownfishes" book: "Upon the loss of a female or male, this entire conversion in gender can be completed in a month or less."

Thanks I thought I read that it can happen much faster.

Archived