Coral Vue Hydros

Sand choices

Universe555

Universe555

I have decided to go with Dr Mac for the LR. The Pukani is what I have selected.

I want live sand but Dr Mac offers "sugar" grain sized sand... I was looking for something with the consistency of crushed coral.

Any ideas where I can get good live sand or...

do I get inert sand and let the LR seed it?

Thanks all.

While we are on this thread, I'm going to go with the sugar-sized sand for my sand bed. Does one put it straight in the tank or does it need to be rinsed? If so, how does one RINSE live sand without killing or losing the beneficial organisms?

Should the live sand be placed after the initial cycling of the tank or during the cycling?

Sorry for all the newbie dumb questions but I was always taught the only true DUMB questions are the ones we don't ask!

we just bought Pukani rock from dr. Mac and it arrived last friday! The rock is beautiful. the rock has red, purple, green, pink and some white coralline on it. It is very porous and it is so lightweight, that 10 lbs. of it only weighs 8 lbs:) :P lol We also purchased 2 lbs of live sand from him to seed our southdown sand. We are very happy with the pukani rock. You don't rinse live sand , we just put it in our tank very slowly,,,we ordered cured live rock from him so we didn't have all the die back that uncured rock has...I'm a newbie too but my guess is don't put any sand in your tank if your curring your live rock in the tank. If you get cured live rock then you would put the sand in first. If I'm wrong i'm sure the more knowledgeable people on this forum will correct me. :)

Donna

Universe555

I've learned a few things since my initial post...

1) The grain size of the sand is very important to the little critters making it act as a filter... you need the sugar sized or oolitic sand for best results... you can go to something slightly bigger but if your granules get too big many of the critters don't thrive.

2) Whatever you do... don't get crushed florida coral. The posts here support that conclusion.

3) Get live sand... if you get the bioactive stuff or inert it will take some time for the life to get there from the live rock and when you are setting up a tank you need all of the advantages that live sand offers.

4) Read this for more info: http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

Archived