Pod Your Reef

10 Gl Aga

JParra

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share my latest set up. I have 2 tanks one is in the living room (25 GL Tall) and the other is in my bedroom (10 GL). My girlfriend talked me into getting a saltwater tank, and let me tell you, I have been bitten by the reef bug. It's like an addiction or something. Anyway here's my 10 gl setup:

Lighting:

2 36W/10k PC

1 36W/Actinic

w/exhaust fans, hood made by me.

Filtration:

HOB Penguin 125 Bio-wheel

1 powerhead

1 50W heater

Livestock:

Flourescent GSP

Aprx. 18 lb Live Rock

Rose Bulb anenome

True Percula

Pearly Jawfish (yellow head Jawfish)

6 turbo snails

5 blue leg hermits

1 scarlet hermit

Hey man I'm loving it so far and I have a few questions for you! What type of sand is that (grain size, brand, whatever you can tell me), what is that rose bulb anemone all about (easy to take care of?) and last but not least, what are you running in the penguin (I plan on running the big one in my 20 long without the wheels and pads, one side will have my heater in it & the other will have some chemi pure or carbon in it)??? Thanks a ton, nice job,

-Grant

REEF ON!B)

Hey,

I'm glad you like it. I've only been doing this since Feb and so far I really havent run into major problems. As far as the sand there is about 3 in (more or less) of it in the tank. Roughly a bit over 12 lb. It is a combination of crushed coral rubble andstore bought live argonite sand (PetCo) called "nature's own" http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=...01&dept_id=%2D2 The grain is 0.5-1.7 mm. Make sure to rise the hell out of the crushed coral (not the live sand). The anemone is a rose bulb. Strong light is the key for anemones. Also, the LFS also recommends to add Iodine an Iron to the water. They also like current. I got a good deal on it. They usually go from $80-100 dollars. He had ten of them selling at $45. I think you can feed it tiny pieces of raw fish.

The filter has the regular pad and Bio-wheel. although I'm thinking of taking the Bio-wheel off. I've heard some on this forum say that it promotes red algae.

Good Luck wtih your tank.

Thanks for the info, everything you've got going is awesome, love the pics! I will have to look into using some of that sand... I am debating right now whether or not I want to keep the pads in (and rinse them once a week) or make my penguin into a HOB fuge. I see the guys around here using aqua clears for it and I think I could mess around with the penguin to get the same effect. It holds about a gallon and a quarter of water about the same as the aquaclear 500...

-Grant

REEF ON!

Originally posted by Grant

what are you running in the penguin (I plan on running the big one in my 20 long without the wheels and pads, one side will have my heater in it & the other will have some chemi pure or carbon in it)???  

cool idea, but make sure the heater does not go haywire and melt the plastic on your HOB filter. ask some people who have used rubbermaid containers for sumps! ;)

Yah good thinking... I am making sure it doesn't touch anywhere on the filter (suction cups) and there will be a sand bottom now cause I am going to make it a fuge! Thanks for the reminder!

-Grant

REEF ON!

• 3 weeks later...

It's all right I forgave my dog. The only thing that survived was the live rock, and the hermits which I put in my 25gl. The hood and lights and equipment survived. The good news is I have a 15 gl aga in the works.

Hey WZUP,

Here is a pic of the new tank. It has 30lbs of sugar sized argonite sand, and 17lb of LR. Its a 15 gl AGA, with 2x36 watt PC, one 36w actinic running all at once, 150 aquaclear, 50 heater, and a power head. This is Day 3. No fish or cleaning crew. I figured I'd let the tank go through the expected diatom blooms before I start addinf any livestock, we'll see.

Nice way of bouncing back! haha Gotta love the arrangement of rocks!

I have a 10g freshwater tank yea those cheap ones from petco, a pengiun mini and a 50w heater... do you think I can use those? I'm a newbie and still dont know whats "right and left" but I'd figured I'd ask since you were using a pengiun. Should I leave the biowheel and filter in or take it out?

I'm planning on getting a maxijet600 powerhead to help circulate the water... I'm just trying to figure what equipment I can use from the freshwater stuff.

You should, convert your tank into a nano. What I believe to be most important is the lighting. You can buy power compact florescent retro fit kits, which is basically the bulbs with a ballast, reflector and mounting hardware. There are also Metal halide (more intense) retro fit kits which give your tank a shimmer of light like when youre looking at a pool on a sunny day. That is what I have in my 25 gl tank. With this type of lighting you can keep SPS corals in your tank. These type of lights will produce more heat than a power compact, use cooling fans for both types of lighting either way. rule of thumb is, 3-6 watts per gallon of water. With a retro fit youre basically refitting your original hood with the retro fit, or you can buy a hood with no lights, or do what I did which was build it myself. keep the heater. For my filter I like to use double the capacity. If I have a ten gallon tank I would get a filter that can handle 20. I'll put some pics of my hoods so you can see.

Those are the pics I wanted to see! =) I needed to see EXACTLY how it looked like. Its cool to hear what people are putting in the lighting and retrofitting this and that... but its kind of hard to visualize when you know "ZIP" about saltwater or lighting at the moment... Thanks. I'm goign to send you some PM's about those lights etc... Thanks.

Archived