Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what exactly is media

Quash

I know people say they have HOB filters but only run media and carbon. What is this stuff? This is what I assume. I have one of those bio bags filled with carbon that I run every once in a while. I do this because I read it keeps the tank looking clear. Which it really does. Is this what "running carbon' means? When I take it out tho, I get little particles floating around which makes me want to put the bio bag back in, but I have also read that this attracts nitrates. So in the end. What is media? How do you run carbon? and what do you suggest be done with my HOB?

Hi, media is prettymuch anything you put in the HOB, carbon, phosphate sponge, chemi clean, etc.

I run carbon 24-7 but I take it out once a week to wash any crud out of the "media" and bag then put it back in. I run the same carbon for about a month then change it out for fresh stuff.

You can also run a poly pad for a few days to polish the water, that way the carbon dosn't get worn out prematurely.

The nitrate factory comes from not washing the media and bags off often, often as in once or more a week.

I have never had any high nitrate problems doing this, 3 years and all is good.

Yeah I run carbon 24-7 in the small drawstring media bags about a 1/4 full. Sometimes I run out of carbon and I leave it out for a week or two until I get my lazy but to the store.

Archived