Coral Vue Hydros

Internal Filter vs Power Head?

sweevo

I've had my 7 Gal Nano for approx three months now and it's starting to reach the point where I can't realistically fit anything else in there.

One way I could create a bit of extra space would be to replace my Internal Filter with a Power Head of similar output. I give the filter media a good clean every week when I do my water change and it always amazes my how much stuff the filter is still picking out of the water, especially as it's a reef only tank, ie no fish.

The tank currently has 9lbs of LR in it with no Living Sand.

Would replacing the internal filter with a power head put my water quality at risk long term? I just have visions of a build up of crap in my tank over a period of months as I wouldn't be catching it in the filter media and clearing it out.

Thanks in advance. :)

since you were cleaning the internal every so often by switching to a ph you'd be leaving that crappie in. that should eventually add to nutrient levels as you already suspect.

can you use a hob? that offers varying levels of circulation and filtration along with space savings. the drawback lies in the lack of absolute control of flow direction. there are ways around that tho.

you could also use a hob/ph setup like a 'semi-closed loop'. put the ph in the hob's reservoir and pipe it out into the tank, pointing flows exactly where you want it. the difficulty in this setup is balancing the hob intake with the ph output. not difficult in the beginning but when the hob intake eventually gets cluttered (i.e. flow restricted) the ph's output may catchup/overtake the hob's input. it's a little diy but not plumber's work either. hth

Archived