Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano cube 12 filtration

Farrah

What do you guys do to your nano cube filtration system?

I got my new nano cube set up yesterday with 10lbs of live sand and 10 lbs of Tonga live rock (I've read that you are supposed to use about a pound per gallon of pacific rock, but the peices were large enough that I don't think I could fit in another one without leaving zero room for adding coral polyps etc that come on rocks). Anyway, I pulled out the ceramic rings, bioballs, and carbon. Do I need to remove the sponges as well? I read in a previous post that they are a nitrate trap. If I remove that and replace it with live rock rubble (which I'm not sure if my LFS has or not) then what will remove particulate matter? I've heard of some people using an eclipse filter back there instead... does that work? If so, how do you place it? And do I want to use the carbon? Does it matter which chamber has what?

MiltonCastillo

Farrah,

I did exactly what you did by removing all the media except for the sponges. I found that I needed them to remove moving particles. What I have done in the early going is to take them out and rinse them out with the water I take out during a water change. Because I also read they can be a nitrate trap, I am planning to take them out permanently after my tank is a little more established.

Hope this helps.

quandary_23

I removed all the filter media, I have 15 lbs LR in main part and rubble in the rest. I only keep the rubble for fragging purposes though, I don't think it is worth keeping it otherwise. So whenever something needs to be fragged and grown, I just reach in the back pull out a piece and their you go.

There are some people using skimmers on these just do a search, good luck.

Archived