inTank Media Baskets

Help! Dead cleaner shrimp!

MiltonCastillo

MiltonCastillo

I started a 12g nano cube about 12 days ago. I put 15 pounds of live rock and 16 pounds of live sand. Introduced 3 blue leg hermit crabs and 2 red leg hermit crabs 3 days ago. I tested the water yesterday and got these readings:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

pH 8.1

gravity 1.023

I was happily surprised that the tank cycled so quickly.

Today I went out and bought a cleaner shrimp and bumble bee snail (they were in the bag about 6 hours because I had to visit my niece and nephew). When I got home I put the shrimp and snail in the tank and made a 1.5 gallon water change (RO/DI water). About 5 minutes later, I looked at the shrimp and he was laying on his side dead! I checked the water again and got the same readings as above.

Can anybody tell me what happened?

how long did you acclimate outside of the tank? I just added some blue hermits and an emerald and I waited about 1/2 an hour...I used a big bowl, dumped both bags out and slowly added tank water...

I'm not sure how fragile cleaner shrimp are...

I have the same suspision as jekr. I added my hermits and snails this morning after 18 hours of acclimatisaion. I think this is a bit over the top but this is my first time and i am not sure what drip rate is the best. So it took me 18 hours before i could get SG to match!

I think shrimps are more fragile and they are not part of the clean-up crews. I would have given the tank a bit more time before adding a shrimp if i were you. I also think you should try to do your pet shopping the last thing before you go home next time. I am not an expert here but this is what i've learnt from hanging about here in this board.

I feel sorry for the poor wee thing. :(

w

MiltonCastillo

I think you guys are right. I have been reading a little more about the acclimation process and I think that did it. I only let the bag sit in the tank for a few minutes before I put him in the tank.

Poor thing must have died from the shock of the transition.

Thanks for the quick responses to my request!

15 min acclimation should be all you need 18 hours in way over the top. mite wanna file for insanity. but i guess you are just careful

Could have been just a weak shrimp or one that has never properly acclimated to changing water quality at LFS. I bought mine and acclimated for 20 min with slow drip. He's been in my tank now for 6 months with no problems. Lots of threads with rare invert deaths. I dont believe that these shrimp are tank raised...are they? Also, noticed that they are very responsive to temperature changes. Check to make sure that everything is the same.

Archived