Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fan Issues - CSL

slomustang

I've had a CSL PC/Moonlite sitting in a box for a while now. Since I'm going to be buiding a reef tank, I thought I'd check the PC and see how things looked. Well, I was running the lights for a bit and the fan was fine. After about 5 minutes, the fan started making a noise that I thought was from rubbing against something. I checked a few times and it looks like the blades are fine. I tried some WD-40 and still no improvement.

Replacing the fan doesn't appear to be that easy (like on a computer). It looks like I'd have to cut and splice some wires to fit a new fan.

No, I cannot return the PC (it's been a while since I bought it).

I'm looking for any suggestions before I start ripping things out. Should I change it out, should I look for any other fixes?

TIA

Reefer_Buddha

check and make sure the wire for the PC's isnt getting into the fan. I ran into that problem with my csl hood and just opened it up and moved the cord over.

That was the first thing I considered. Unfortunately, that's not the issue since the noise still occurred even after partial disassembly of the hood. :(

if your ready to change out the crappy stock fan, you may want to check out the 2 threads shown below in my sig...

pretty simple, but VERY effective modd... IMO

|

|

v

Thanks for the links. I have one question about the wiring of the fans. Did you just splice the wires from the fan to the AC adapter and run it out of the hood holes (where the fan intakes/exhaust)?

notice there is only 1 fan in a stock CSL hood. I replaced both and I have it so 1 fan blows air in, the other sucks the hot air out. each fan has 2 wires...i connected them together and then connected them together w/ the 2 wires of the power adaptor making all the connections within the hood.

you should be able to feed the wire (thin) through the PC power wire hole just like the moonlight's power wire...

hth,

kracker

I actually (for now) ran the fan wires through the fan holes. I'm going to clean everything up with some cable ducts.

I kept the fans connections (the one you use to connect to a computer motherboard) so that I can disconnect the fan and easily move the hood.

One thing I love is I used a multi-voltage adapter. It has settings that will be useful for me (6, 7.5, 9, 12).

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll get the urge to clean the wiring up soon.

Archived