Coral Vue Hydros

Garlic = Bad for Fish Liver/Heart?

smitty_1280

HecticDialectics

Fish mighta just been eating more. Fish's own immune system might have just finally caught up to the parasite. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Not strange. Just coincidence.

I saw that same thread on 3reef.. those exact words, actually. I'm not sure what garlic does effectively but I do know that my lfs puts garlic into their mixed frozen batch and they feed all their fish this.. not sure if they scatter the same food in their frag tanks but its obviously a concentrated dose and they've been doing it for years. All the fish seem to love it, they use Brightwell Aquatics Garlic Powder and Ocean Nutrition Marine Algae W/ Garlic.. I feed this to my ywg and b&w every other day and I haven't had any problems except very happy and food accepting fish..

That is one reason why I am thinking about adding garlic to my fishes diets.

good to know. coincidence and luck. Ill just believe that the garlic had something to do with it somehow. So +1 for garlic :)

Lol, I would believe the same as you if I were you. B)

:sigh:

No, it hasn't been proven to boost the immune system. And no, it has never been proven to help against marine ich or any other disease dosed high, whether in fish food or directly in the water.

two-angry-camels-in-a-tiny-car-two-angry-camels-in-a-tiny-ca-demotivational-poster-1265390697.jpg

• 9 years later...

I noticed my fish has ich so I put garlic in a blender then I let frozen brine shrimp melt and soak in the garlic. Within minutes my fishes were behaving like they need air. Minutes later they got use to it but my 3 ghost knife fishes had seizures and died minutes later. I done this garlic treatment before and it's always worked for me. I don't know what has changed now. The only difference before is this time I put the garlic in a blender instead of minceing it myself. Every fish in my community tank is alive except my ghost fish.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that the evidence for garlic causing liver and heart toxicity in fish is based at least in part on a single extremely poor study (Al-Salahy and Mahmoud, 2003).  As a fish toxicologic pathologist with 20+ years experience, I can tell you that the microscopic tissue specimens in that article are non-diagnostic; that is, the quality of tissue preparation is so bad that no valid findings can be derived from that research.  It is unfortunate to see how published information based on incorrect data can potentially influence opinions for decades.  I'm not saying that garlic at any particular concentration is necessarily safe or toxic for fish (excessive concentrations of almost any substance you can name are invariably toxic), but better quality studies would be required to establish the precise concentrations at which garlic is toxic for various fish species, and to determine the organ systems that might actually be affected.

• Like 2