SaltCritters.com

ny new nanocube pic

burrito

i bought a nanocube, ditched all the media and have live rock and carbon, along with a heater and stock pump(might upgrade to a minijet 606)

so my tank has been running for 3 weeks now, heres a few stats

10lbs cured brazilian live rock, about 2-3 lbs cured fiji rock

20lbs live sand

all water is nsw

ph- 8.2

ammonia- 0

nitrite- 0

nitrate- 20

specific gravity- 1.027 :|

inverts

4 blue legged crabs

5 turbo snails

1 unknown hermit crab

1 pompom crab- free cuz it snuck aboard my rock

coral

button polyp

fish

blue devil damsel

any suggestions or comments... still not done with my cleanup crew lfs just not carrying what i need.

qtpinoyboy408

those blue devil damsels are horrible. They pick on everything. I think your specific gravity is too high for you fish tho. Inverts like it but it should be around 1.023-1.025. okay bye bye good luck

how do i lower my specific gravity? im using the bottles NSW from petco and the sg should be btw .022-.025 but my readings always come up around .027. is this hazardous?

tia

ReeferMonkey

You could be experiencing inaccuracy in your measurements. Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer?

Either that or you haven't been topping up with fresh water to compensate for evaporation....

And to lower your salinity, just gradually add freshwater to the total volume of the tank within a period of a couple of days....

remove say a cup of tank water and replace with a cup of freshwater....and this once everyday till your salinity is where you want it....though you might want to adjust the amount of water being removed and replaced....the cup was just an example....

hope that helps..... :)

1.027 won't kill anything. And the swingarm is probably off anyway.

Spend $45.00 and get a refractometer.

Fosters and Smiths has them on sale right now.

ReeferMonkey

Get em through the NR-com deal (Chris gets a little taste) or go through DIY reef, they're like $42 regularly.

I have the one from the NR deal, couldn't be happier. Solid construction, a breeze to use, possibly best investment I've made thus far on the tank.

Archived