Pod Your Reef

I Caught The Little @#%@!!!!!

AReeferIsExpensive

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mine were the kind that only eat fish.

Hmm, but it scavenged dead matter from your trap. I've been doing some reading and it seems that people who have observed the parasitic kind in action commonly report that isopods are quick to drop from a dead fish. Like a vampire, they want only the freshest.

Of course, the point remains: the one in your tank could have been parasitic and really hungry.

Glad you got him anyway, peace of mind is worth it.

Originally posted by AReeferIsExpensive

a couple hours later  on my second check, i shined the light and saw the silouette of an isopod munchin away. The trap n bait was a success!!

Wow man, great job!!!

You got me thinking I should check my new tank for parasites while it's cycling.

have been reading that they tend to run into the sand once there is sand in the tank and once thye are all out of the rock all you have to do is take the rock out then the sand and put hte rock back since they are all in the sand... then you can kill them off in the sand alot easier...

but i read on..

blah see now im going to be paranoid bec of this thread starting my new tank in less then 3 weeks...$#%# @#$# Isopods mad.gif

AReeferIsExpensive

Hw- i knew they were really hungry because that rock had been in the LFS LR only tank, then it was moved into my room and put in a bucket to cure for a month. thats def. a consideration to factor in then.

Matt- thanks! all the goodies are found at night w/ a flashlight~ esp the first couple weeks after you are done curing

Case- i have about 5 different kinds of LR in my tank....and the ONLY LR that brought pests into my tank was TBS rock. It is the most beautiful, the one that has the most life...but thats including the life that you dont want. I got flatworms and aptasia from frags but that happens to everyone eventually~ so unless you decide to go for uncured TBS, i wouldnt sweat it that much at all......

• 2 weeks later...

Reefer,

Just curious, what did you end up doing?

Catching those suckers or dropping in a fish?

After the "success" of my maroon, I put an orchid dottyback in there and now all my pods (good, bad or otherwise) seem to have disappeared. :(

Ironically, I'm now buying pods to put back into the back area of the cube in an attempt to repopulate. :D

AReeferIsExpensive

well, 2 days ago i sucked up another isopod atabout 3 am with a flashlight. I LOVE my existing fish in my main tank (where the rocks would go) and i hate the idea of risking it. I keep thinking there is somehow eggs that will hatch or TINY iso's in the rock so im considering taking a hammer to the rock and starting a zoo only pico~

it depends on how things go tho....

im putting the trap in tonight or tomorrow (when i have a few hours aside) and seeing what i catch. If nothing, i will repeat the trap for maybe a week and add it to my main tank. if i keep catching the things, pico it is!

call it paranoia, or else my mother was right and i quotes, "typical, you are just looking for any excuse to start another damn tank"

its good to hear about your success! Hoepfully i will be just as lucky =/

• 1 year later...

Archived