Cultivated Reef

New 25gal Ecoxotic AIO

Fentanyl

I ended up getting my hammer coral sooner than I planned when i first started out. It ended up doing ok. just make sure the algae stays away from it and keep an eye on your parameters. Your CUC should take care of the algae in no time.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea it was a definitely a unexpected purchase, but I'll make sure to keep the GHA away from it. But the addition of the turbos and emerald crab has be amazing chomping on the GHA.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Hope everyone enjoyed their holidays as I had, well it looks like the GHA is well under control. Thanks for the help. With all the holiday sales it's tough to not get something :lol: But I managed not to crack again. Think it's time to settle it down for a month or so before adding anything in. But I think I going to aim for a bubble coral next... here's a pix update below. In regards to the care of the frogspawn coral I would think that the weekly 5-10% WC and the photosynthetic algae will provide sufficient nutrients for its growth. (also considering it's the only one it the aquarium).

post-49654-1324956360_thumb.jpg

Quick ID question for anyone. I notice this morning just before my light went on there were a few small bunches of what looked like clear projections with white tipped ends attached to one of my LR. Once my light started to turn on the began to retract to a small tiny area that is too small to take a photo of. At first I thought it might be some aiptasia anemone but the pics I found didn't match how it looks like. I'll try to get some photos before they shrink but anyone have any ideas?

I just assumed that feather dusters needed a hollow shell horn. And secondly they look more like longer transparent tentacles with distinct white bulbs at the end of each tentacle.

Good guess Hravanii, based on the pictures they do seem to be a type of ball anemone. Having said that I did some preliminary research and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on whether they are harmful or not. What are your thoughts on it.

I haven't had them before but from what I have seen around here, they are considered to be ok. They don't spread like pest anemones and don't seem to bother anything.

Bad news!!! :( I woke up today to find my emerald crab tearing away at my peppermint shrimp. With only half it's body left there was nothing I can do. I didn't realize they can be so aggressive. My only guess is that ill need to start spot feeding it so it stays feed. Lesson of the day make sure your crab is well feed or it will eat anything.

That is possible, but not likely cuz I did see it yesterday... But just watching the emerald crab chopping away at it made me think it how hungry it was. I'll have to pick up some brine shrimp today for sure.

How's the tank doing?

Most likely the peppermint was already dead. I think some people just have bad luck with peppermints. I have tried 4 of them and they have all died fr unknown reasons.

The tank moving along quite nicely, but nothing close to where your tank is Hravanii :lol: The frogspawn is looking healthy and growing bigger everyday. The ball anemone are getting slightly bigger but not causing and problems thus far. I have started to feed the emerald crab every other day with some water stable wafers, which they seem to enjoy. I also started to feed my coral recently with a product called reef bugs that my LFS recommended, only a small amount. Recently I've noticed a small bloom of copopods and some other small creatures on the sand and LR. Which makes me wonder if my cycling is finished yet. Parameter are as follows: ammonia,nitrite, nitrate at 0 ppm, KH:280, and pH:7.9. My plan is to stop the feeding as there seems to be lots of foods or creatures around and let things settle for another week or so before adding another coral.

• 2 weeks later...

So with the tank heading along nicely with good parameters of the water (zip for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) and my frogspawn was doing so well I decided to get a new addition to the tank. B) I went with a small ricordea. did a drip acclimation over 2hr and it seems to be fine so far. Pics below

post-49654-1326773895_thumb.jpg

how it looked after 4hrs

post-49654-1326774060_thumb.jpg

Pic update of my frog

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Last week I decide to make a ATO with with the eshopps float valve and a water lifter. Seems to be working great so far and yesterday I added a plate coral. The ricordea was fine for a few days but then it wandered off and is hiding in between my LR, which I can't reach. Hopefully in a few days it will come back out. The plate coral seems to be doing fine although its still too soon to tell. pics below

post-49654-1327609768_thumb.jpg

Thanks, it looks really nice when the moon lights come on at night. Yea I know what you mean cuz I have my glass top off too. I was debating on getting the jbj ATO system but my LFS was selling it for $170. Way too much for that so I just went with a $40 float valve and a cheap water lifter instead. It's been running for almost a week now and no problems so far. I would definitely recommend it for you as well.

It really isn't that hard but I guess if u want to skip the hassale and go with the JBJ, It usually costs only $90 so I'm sure you can find a better deal then me.

Update:

All the corals are settling in fine with the exception of the riccordea which stay tightly hidden. I have just placed a order for the Apex Jr controller, which will interesting to see how the setup goes.

Update:

Finally received the Neptune apex Jr controller. The initial setup was quite easy and straight forward. However getting the access outside of my home network has proven to be a bit more tricky. I love the integration with my iPhone as the controller, I just need to get it working when I'm not at home. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a entry level controller for their system. I'll give a final though of the system when I have had more time to test it out.

Update:

I managed to get the Apex Jr. Controller working and it's amazing!!! Just being able to monitor your aquarium parameters anywhere you go is quite comforting. I've been able to keep my temperature fluctuation below 1 degree compared to what it was before (3 degrees), I've noticed my corals to be much happier. I've added the EB8 for more outlet control and that was very easy setup. But now I'm itching to expand it for salinity and pH monitoring as well. Definitely a great system to start with as well as expand from.

Livestock wise everyone is doing great. My frogspawn has split forming another head and my emerald crab has molted (which is quite amazing) and is quite large. I'm going to make sure he doesn't get aggressive with my corals.

Frogspawn splitting

2e316ceb.jpg

Fully open

77408d8b.jpg

Molted shell

9ee35d27.jpg

Transformed

40099a40.jpg

Question for all, I'm leaving for a week down to Cuba and I feed my corals and crab every 2nd day. What would be the best way to ensure they don't starve while I'm gone? Should I do a large feed before I go?

• 4 weeks later...

Updated:

So a bunch of things have changed lets start with live stock. I got 2 clown fishes which have made my tank much livelier. Added a crocea clam which have beautiful colors that the clowns have decided to host it or so it seems. Pics below. Place a small green birdsnest and another frogspawn. Equipment wise I was very happy with the apex jr. that I ended up getting a EB8 bar and the PM2 module to monitor the conductivity. With new additions there were some losses. The emerald crab after it molted didn't survive long. I'm thinking it was due to lack of food and the small ricordea just disappeared most like due to the high light change. But all in all things r settling back in.

Clowns hosting clam

508aabef.jpg

Green birdsnest

e6258938.jpg

Red sea star

c40f21d9.jpg

Frogspawn

67715529.jpg

Archived