SaltCritters.com

McCulloch’s Clownfish

ClosetReefGeek

ClosetReefGeek

Fantastic news! Anyone getting their hands of the rare McCulloch’s Clownfish?

http://www.orafarm.com/blog/2011/11/22/mcc...nfish/#more-734

It would be awesome if someone from this forum start breeding them and raise to sell them, independently from the LFS. I was reading the LiveAquaria journey to creating the broodstock pair could be difficult as the fish takes aggression to a whole new level. Not much of the breeding logs available on the Internet so far, being a broke student purchasing these that costs an arm and a leg, then having the female killing the male would be devastating.

I'd rather let the experts document their breeding first, especially with their stringent requirements coming from the temperate waters of Lord Howe Island, so temperatures of around 74-76 F maintained. Another thought that came, are they that aggressive like Maroon Clownfishes, and seeing that the species do not show much sexual dichromatism, with the males and females of the same size. It'll be a bummer to get two females in the tank. :o

Saw a kick-butt tank with a pair of these on YouTube. Probably the most beautiful tank I've ever seen. :)

Oh hey, found it!

Would be an awesome achievement, though! I read these guys are like $2000 each sometimes. If I had the money... Well let's just say don't get Euphyllia $4000. ;)

doni snagged two of them last year when divers den was releasing some of the juvies they first hatched. she kept them in one her comunity tanks to eash the beating they would give to each other. last i heard she lost one to carpet surfing (they were $599 ea) and barely 1/2" long. the ora released ones are $399.

last juvie i seen sold before the ora release was july, 28th of 2010 around 3pm in the afternoon, lasted mabey an hour before it sold.

yeah i am afraid these might go the way of the Latz.. get a bunch out there for a decent price and then the first person to breed them and mass sell them then they will be $100.

I did have a line on a breeding pair a few months ago, but i was a few minutes to late to get them.

Archived