SaltCritters.com

in tank protien skimmer?

newbiecarlz

newbiecarlz

hi

im looking at setting up a 35 gal tank and due to the design of the hood i will need to use an in tank skimmer.

what are the pros/cons of an in tank vs a hang on tank skimmer?

can anyone recommend a good model?

In-tank skimmers are pretty ugly. 'in tank' skimmers are actually - in most cases - designed to be installed in a sump, not a display tank. I think a Prizm HOB skimmer would work just fine for your application. If you're planning on using a sump then you'll have more options.

d.

newbiecarlz

yeah i thought they would look a bit unsightly.. im thinking i will have a wall of live rock on the back so i might be able to conceal it behind there..

the problem with a HOB is that my filter is in the hood, so i cant use a HOB because the hood fully encloses the tank.

the brand of the tank is 'aqua one' over here but i think its also called 'via aqua'...

Sounds like you have an Eclipse style hood? yes? If so you can cut pieces out to fit a hob skimmer. A hob skimmer will yield much better results then an in tank skimmer. I've had one before and then when I got my hob it didn't compare. You'll be much happier to make the mods to your tank.

newbiecarlz

yup i think its similar to the eclipse system.. (see pic)

ive done some more brainstorming and think i will do away with the front section of the hood that houses the lights - they are 23" fluros (?? why would u put 23" lights - makes life hard cause they arent standard size..) and replace with a couple of nice 24" in one of those raised units, giving me some more options about type and watts of the lights..

i think this will give me enough room between the raised lights and the filter section of the hood to put on a HOB skimmer.

anyone done this before? does it sound impossible?

it might look a bit weird having the skimmer on the side of the tank though..

Archived