Innovative Marine Aquariums

Beau's 28g SPS Reborn (pg12)

beau13

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Id say go for it nothing better than the peace of mind. Heres a good deal. That montipora colony is a beautiful piece

Thanks for the link. I went down to my LFS and talked to them today. Sunlight Supply has one of their big bases about ten minutes from here and the LFS likes those chillers since you don't have to send them off for repairs if something goes wrong. You can deliver it yourself and get it back the same day. I need to do some research on them, and how on earth to plumb thing thing since I am not running a sump and my tank isn't drilled.

I love that latana montipora. It has a very interesting branching/plating form, and the yellow looks great in my reef! I am growing the frags out and I need to figure out how much to sell them for.

So I moved my torch today. I am not 100% sure on this, but my clam seemed to be reacting to it and while it was open fully most of the time, some of the time it was looking like this and I decided not to risk it. I moved the torch but I am running out of good places to put it, and I don't want to get rid of it. :(

c95ba264.jpg

Thanks for the link. I went down to my LFS and talked to them today. Sunlight Supply has one of their big bases about ten minutes from here and the LFS likes those chillers since you don't have to send them off for repairs if something goes wrong. You can deliver it yourself and get it back the same day. I need to do some research on them, and how on earth to plumb thing thing since I am not running a sump and my tank isn't drilled.

I love that latana montipora. It has a very interesting branching/plating form, and the yellow looks great in my reef! I am growing the frags out and I need to figure out how much to sell them for.

You could use a Nano overflow box with an external pump as a way to get water from your tank to the chiller

Glad you moved the clam because it was definitely being stung based on that pic

I've looked at those over flow boxes and I am worried that since I don't have an ATO that if I am gone over a weekend it will loose syphon but the pump will keep pumping and I might end up with a bunch of water on the floor, although I suppose if the water level dropped that much I might not have too much on the floor. Either way I am on the second floor of an apartment building and the concern is there.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never run a skimmer and have depended on just water changes. I think part of my algae problem was excess nutrients, and I've cut back on the feeding and it mostly took care of it. However, I still am always blowing a lot of junk off my rocks and everything. Nitrates are staying low-0, but I am thinking about getting a skimmer just to clean up the water and keep a lot of this junk out. I am running an AC50 but it doesn't seem to catch a lot of stuff, even with filter sock material in it (which clogs it and makes it try to overflow).

Two things: because I am sumpless, it would need to be a HOB. I am looking at the Reef Octopus BH1000, Eshopps PSK75, AquaC Remora, and Aquamax HOB-1. Any thoughts on these?

Second thing: would you even bother putting a skimmer on to just clean up the water column and get rid of all the stuff that collects around rocks and everything? Any other ideas other than another piece of equipment?

• 2 weeks later...
So how are you liking the radion with all the sps?

So far I am loving it. Some things do change colors under it then color back up, but so far my colors easily match the LFS show tanks they were fragged from under 400w MH.

June FTS!

Sorry about all the frags sitting on the bottom next to the clam and the giant hunk of GSP. I am growing them out to sell or trade for other stuff. The GSP kind of hides my zoa garden that I am trying to do on the right. I had to move my green birdsnest because it was growing against the glass and I couldn't clean it. I am still trying to find a good place for my xenia because I love them but I can't seem to find a good spot where they aren't in the way.

2ad89b3f.jpg

This is looking great! I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking: What brand of salt do you use? Do you have to dose to maintain alkalinity and calcium? If so, how much daily? I ask because I have a 20g tank with several SPS corals and it's already a challenge to keep those parameters stable, even though I dose daily and do 2 water changes a week.

Some really nice looking Sps coral's in here. Some of the color's are

insane. I think I'm going to go with Led's of some sort on my new set up.

This tank will look fantastic when the coral's really start to fill in.

This is looking great! I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking: What brand of salt do you use? Do you have to dose to maintain alkalinity and calcium? If so, how much daily? I ask because I have a 20g tank with several SPS corals and it's already a challenge to keep those parameters stable, even though I dose daily and do 2 water changes a week.

I am using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I've been using it almost since I started reefing. I started dosing alk and calc in this tank soon after I put the SPS in. In my old tank I only had a couple so I was just doing it with water changes. About two months ago I started having some crazy alk swings and started dosing magnesium and it has stabilized everything. Currently I dose 7mL of calcium and 7mL of alkalinity (B-ionic 2 part solution) daily and 6mL of magnesium daily. I keep having to tweek it. Last week it was 6mL of each a day. The magnesium has made all the difference in the world with keeping things stable. Currently I am trying out Thrive Aquatics liquid magnesium. It is easier to mix up than BRS mag.

I am using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I've been using it almost since I started reefing. I started dosing alk and calc in this tank soon after I put the SPS in. In my old tank I only had a couple so I was just doing it with water changes. About two months ago I started having some crazy alk swings and started dosing magnesium and it has stabilized everything. Currently I dose 7mL of calcium and 7mL of alkalinity (B-ionic 2 part solution) daily and 6mL of magnesium daily. I keep having to tweek it. Last week it was 6mL of each a day. The magnesium has made all the difference in the world with keeping things stable. Currently I am trying out Thrive Aquatics liquid magnesium. It is easier to mix up than BRS mag.

That sounds pretty similar to what I'm doing. I use reef crystals too, and dose about 8ml of alk buffer daily. My water changes are able to keep up with calcium demand, but for some reason alk just drops too quickly in my tank, even though magnesium is at 1400ppm. Thanks for answering my questions!

buddythelion

How many times a week are you water changing and about how much %? I'm starting to keep SPS as well, I only have about 4 frags and my Red Planet has browned out on me already. :(

Beautiful tank btw, following along for sure!

I haven't seen this tank for a while, but WOW! Everything looks so nice and healthy. I added supplemental t5 lighting to my Radion and so far so good.

Nice looking tank. How is the rock Hawaiian though? Is it Hawaiian live rock? Or Hawaiian dead rock?

It was Hawaiian dead rock. Technically a lot of it wasn't even rock but chunks of old coral that washed up on the lava beds after the tsunami a year or so ago.

I haven't seen this tank for a while, but WOW! Everything looks so nice and healthy. I added supplemental t5 lighting to my Radion and so far so good.

Thanks!

So I am debating doing a little bit of a redo on my tank. We are in the process of buying a house, which means moving the tank and I am sick of fighting aiptasia (and algae but I know how to control that). Every time I put Aiptasia X on one it dies and ten more little ones take its place! So, I am debating on starting with fresh rock and transferring ONLY dipped corals, no rock or anything once the cycle completes, or if anyone has any killer aiptasia stories... :)

Berghia nudibranch are the best option. Ive used them to completely eradicate aiptasia on three separate occasions. They can get to aiptasia that no other animals can reach and they dont stop until every last one is gone. The only caveat is if you have a heavy infestation it may take 4-6 weeks or more for them to put a dent in their numbers but like i said they will eventually eliminate all aiptasia.

Berghia nudibranch are the best option. Ive used them to completely eradicate aiptasia on three separate occasions. They can get to aiptasia that no other animals can reach and they dont stop until every last one is gone. The only caveat is if you have a heavy infestation it may take 4-6 weeks or more for them to put a dent in their numbers but like i said they will eventually eliminate all aiptasia.

That sounds like an awesome option to me. Where does one get them though, and do they eat anything else in the aquarium, like things I want to keep?!

lemon juice always worked the best for me.

I might try the lemon juice. My problem is that the longer I look at my LR, the more tiny little aiptasia I see popping out everywhere! I can't reach some of them very well.

That sounds like an awesome option to me. Where does one get them though, and do they eat anything else in the aquarium, like things I want to keep?!

You can get them from here(fast shipping and excellent customer service) They only eat aiptasia thats why once all of your aiptasia have been consumed its important you find them a new home or they will starve to death.

You can get them from here(fast shipping and excellent customer service) They only eat aiptasia thats why once all of your aiptasia have been consumed its important you find them a new home or they will starve to death.

A lot of people have said they caught them in the evening or at night. How hard was it to find and catch them after you got rid of the aiptasia?

Archived