Cultivated Reef

Breeding naked clown question?

mike13oy

FishEyeAquaculture

"Thyroid hormones are known to induce metamorphosis in larval fish, but few studies have examined the changes in pigment alongside the musculoskeletal development. A study was undertaken to examine the effects of exogenous T3 (triiodo-L-thyronine) on the development and pigmentation of larval common clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris). Larvae were collected after hatching and split into two groups. One group was immersed in artificial seawater with 2 mg/L T3, the other in artificial seawater without hormone, for one hour. Both groups were transferred to separate tanks within a common rearing system, and raised through the development of juvenile pigmentation. Significant differences in dorsal spine numbers became evident by day 14. The control group developed all three white bars, but the T3 group only developed partial or complete tail bars, with a few individuals never showing any bars. These results indicate a major role for T3 in larval clownfish development." -CLEMENT, LICHTENBERT, KOHLER. 2001 Stripping Clowns: Induced Meristic Changes in Common Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)

Makes you wonder?

FishEyeAquaculture
So You mean... dont waste my time breeding naked clowns because i will not get any? lol

I just thought you should be aware of that method. Doesn't mean we aren't trying to breed any ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I would imagine that you would end up with some regular ocellaris, some misbars, some extreme misbars, and VERY few (1-5%) true naked clowns. Just like picassos, the Grade A ones are very scarce in the batches. That is, if it actually depends on color pigment genetics, and not synthetic hormones introduced to the fry at an early age, as the quote FishEye posted suggests.

Archived