SaltCritters.com

Want to Upgrade Lighting

AV8TR

I have a 110gal Oceanic reef tank that has been a fish only tank for the last two years. The tank is 24" deep. Currently, my lighting consists of 6-55w PC lights (4/10K and 2/Actinic). A total of 330 watts (3w/gal) which according to my LFS is insufficient. I would like to move to the next level - a real reef but would first like to upgrade my lighting. The tank is completely enclosed (on top) with the glass tops and oak hood/canopy. First question - Would an open top (no glass) allow more light to reach the bottom? Could I simply remove the glass and still use my current canopy with the bulbs less than two inches above the water? I am considering a combination VHO and MH retro kit. The tank is a 5ft tank but the inside measurement of the canopy is 59.5" ruling out any 60" (140watt) bulbs. Can I successfully use a 48" retro kit (2-48"VHO Actinics and 2-175w MH) centered in the canopy? I would prefer to keep the oak canopy on top for aesthetic appearance. I know that I will probably have to install fans. Any advice welcome!

Ed

04/06/04 OK, OK, I get it. 5 days and not a single response. So, I'm not a nano-reef keeper with my 110gal tank but aren't the theories and technologies very similar? Can someone just please point me to a good lighting forum for"non" nano aquarists? Thank!

Archived