Coral Vue Hydros

PC vs HQI

qsails

Should I shell out the money and buy the 150w HQI or should I retro my 96w powerquad and 2x36w power compacts into one hood.

I have the 18 gal Via Aqua I want to start keeping SPS and Maxima's.

do you think the Power compacts will work?

You say you want to concentrate on SPS and maximas, so there is no question in my mind that you should get the metal halide. Besides, you get the cool shimmer and you will never wish you had more light.

Undertheradar

All my reefs, includint the nanos, are under halide lighting now, and are all doing so much better than the ones that were under power compacts. And if you want to do clams and SPS...no doubt about it...halide is the way to go. Long term operating costs are lower as well. You can get away with less wattage overall because the quality of the light is so much more intense and full spectrum. The bulbs last longer, and instead of two, three, four bulbs or whatever...you have one to replace (every 18 months seems to be a good idea with halides, although with clams and other shallower water species, you could go longer as they actually prefer the yellower light that the halides will change to over time). Overall, well worth it. Oh, and I forgot, you can get away with less exposure time as well. Many experts say that halides do all their good in just 6 hours!! Personally, I leave mine on about 8 hours just in case, but either way, it sure beats the photoperiod needed for most compacts...10-14hours! So less electrical consumption as well...as well as less lighting period = less heat transfer during those hot summer days!!!

Archived