inTank Media Baskets

My 8 gallon bow front

Panda

Hello everyone! For my first trick, er, uh, post, I'm going to show you a couple of pics of my 8 gallon Jalli bow front.

nano_lighting_tank.jpg

Here's the lighting setup.

nano_lighting.jpg

Specs and plans:

Tank: Jalli 8 gallon bow front

Lighting: 70w Ushio 10000K HQI on Reliable Ballast PowerSelect model number PS12B90T and 2-14w ZooMed actinics on Coralife E-Z Ballast. (Thanks to Len over at Reefscapes.net for the info on the actinics!)

Filtration: Hagen AquaClear 150 (No Media) and a Sander's Piccolo Skimmer.

Inhanitants: GSP's and some green and orange button polyps.

The tank's been up for about 3 months. I used water and rock from my 100g tank so it didn't take very long to cycle at all. In 3 months I've never seen a diatom or any major algae blooms. I'm planning on keeping some hardy SPS and possibly my small rose E. quad in this tank. A few snails, maybe a couple of scarlet hermits and a cleaner shrimp will round out the livestock list. Maybe a small goby eventually, but I haven't decided on that either.

Enjoy!

Dave

Welcome!

That's an interesting light set up you have. Where the heck did you get the Sanders skimmer? I can't find one anywhere!

I agree with fishymissy post some pictures of your big tank!

that's the second tank i've seen like that, i really like them. nice tank, can't wait to see it with corals:)

Thanks so much for the kind words.

lizbeth,

I nabbed that little skimmer while I was on a trip to LA. A friend of mine took me to one of the LFS's out there and they had one in stock. I know a place called Aquarium City used to sell them but I can't find there site anymore. I had been looking for one for a while, I guess I just lucked out. :P

As far as the 100 goes. I'll try to get some new pics of it later this evening, but that all depends on how much work needs to be done at the house.

Dave

NanoReefer53

good start. how's the MH ballast working out for u ? Also, do u have a glass beneath the bulb ? Without glass the HQI bulb will burn all your corals with intense UV rays.

The ballast is working great so far. It's only been running for a day so I can't really say how good or bad the longevity is. I can say that it is barely warm to the touch and it takes maybe 2-3 seconds after I hit the switch for the bulbs to fire and start warming up. I'll keep you updated about how well it works. If it starts going whacky, I'll switch to a Tar type ballast.

Yes, there is a glass shield between the bulb and the water. It's hard to see in the pictures, but I promise it's there. :)

Dave

The purple is actually an 03 Actinic bulb. I have a nikon camera and the only "actinics" it doesn't turn that purple color are the PC ones that say 7100K on them.

I'll see if I can't get my hands on another camera to get a not so purple pic.

Dave

Archived