inTank Media Baskets

10g Rimless Nano Reef

dtum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
may not be enough light at the low in the tank.

and dont worry about the clown, he'll get hungry, and eat.

That would make sense, I've put it up higher and closer to the light.

Normal as in all zeroes? Seeding dry rock can be tricky. It can take a while, and when you add more livestock you'll see a mini-cycle.

Yes, everything is zeroes. I did not see any mini spikes after I've introduced the fish in.

Nitrates... Plain and simple.

Yer test may say '0', but the algae on that glass is eating something. ;)

Those diatom's on the sand are also a sign of Nitrates.

As is the shriveling of the Ric...

I could go on, and on.... But, you should just do an 8 gallon water change, and make us all happy.

Yes, 8 gallon's is totally safe.

Yes, it is 80%.

Yes, nitrates are only reduced by the amount of dirty water you take out.

I.e., 80% change will remove 80%, 50% will remove 50%, etc....

Trust me... I know what I'm doing... :mellow:

I just realized you're using a single 24w pc....

In addition to what I previously said, you need to get rid of that light.

They're weak as all get out, even at 10" deep, and they shift color spectrum which causes... ALGAE! :eek:

Your tank is coming along! It seems like you are getting a mini cycle from the addition of the live stock, do a water change as suggested above, should help.

I see you have a clown in there already, what else do you plan on stocking?

Also I agree you need a better light, if you are handy and can handle the DIY work go for some LEDs from aquastyleonline. There are lots of helpful how to's on this site.

Finally, my powerhead nano is rated for 245gph. So I got a second Koralia Nano 425gph and now have both of them running. Definitely like both of them better than the Tunze, since they are virtually silent. But now I am worried whether this is too much flow for the tank (does not feel this way). Thoughts?

Just get an Ecotech MP10 powerhead. It will be the last pump you buy. You can change the speed and use the programmed modes.

Nitrates... Plain and simple.

Yer test may say '0', but the algae on that glass is eating something. ;)

Those diatom's on the sand are also a sign of Nitrates.

As is the shriveling of the Ric...

I could go on, and on.... But, you should just do an 8 gallon water change, and make us all happy.

Yes, 8 gallon's is totally safe.

Yes, it is 80%.

Yes, nitrates are only reduced by the amount of dirty water you take out.

I.e., 80% change will remove 80%, 50% will remove 50%, etc....

Trust me... I know what I'm doing... :mellow:

Wow, that is a lot of info to process. Thank you!

I have moved the Ric up to the top of the rock and it is now doing much better.

The clown is not eating any NLS pellets, it puts them in its mouth and then spits it out.

I did a 10% water change on Saturday, will be doing a bigger one in the next couple of days. Will aim for a really big one.

Is this RO/DI water?

This is just RO water.

I just realized you're using a single 24w pc....

In addition to what I previously said, you need to get rid of that light.

They're weak as all get out, even at 10" deep, and they shift color spectrum which causes... ALGAE! :eek:

I have been running two of the 24w pcs there for the past few weeks, I've upgraded from just a single one. Would this not be enough for softies?

What can I do about the colour spectrum? I am running two of 50/50.

Your tank is coming along! It seems like you are getting a mini cycle from the addition of the live stock, do a water change as suggested above, should help.

I see you have a clown in there already, what else do you plan on stocking?

Also I agree you need a better light, if you are handy and can handle the DIY work go for some LEDs from aquastyleonline. There are lots of helpful how to's on this site.

Thank you!

I know that my choices are limited, so I am looking for something really colourful. Afraid that I might have to either get a yellow watchmen or a fire fish. Would really want a royal gramma, but it is not recommended.

I have two fixtures of 24w each, not one.

For the love of Gawd, move the Ric to the top of the rock....

Yep, did that yesterday and it is already doing better. :)

Just get an Ecotech MP10 powerhead. It will be the last pump you buy. You can change the speed and use the programmed modes.

I've heard that it is not virtually silent and this is very important for me, since it is right by my work desk at this moment. Maybe later, when this will be more of a show tank I will do this.

I am very impressed with all the feedback from you guys, very much appreciated. Thank you.

If my clown refuses to take NLS ("Community fish formula", not really for saltwater fish), what should I do. The first couple of times he seemed to like it, but the last 3 days he just spits it out.

Clowns are like goldfish of freshwater they will eat anything. Stress might be the reason here. I see you started the tank on 17th and added fish on 25th ?

Is your tank cycled ?

how are all the params ?

tanks looks nice. but would suggest to have some patience , its like when using aqua soil for freshwater , you don't directly plant in it you let is cycle for a few weeks till the ammonia is leached out.

Nice tank dude.

Be patient when setting up your tank. It seems like your tank is still cycling. Being patient pays off at the end!

Test your parameters, and don't add any more live stock or corals at the moment. Get rid of the power compact light, and invest in T5's or MH's.

Buy a RO/DI unit so that you can make your own RO water. Never, ever use tap water.

+1 to the 2 replies above. Seeding try rock can be tricky. If you used a small piece of live rock, you might test zeroes after a small amount of time. This is because a small bacteria population developed to handle dieoff and life from the rock. However the population is relatively small and the tank will have to go through the same cycle process when you significantly increase the bioload. I'd keep checking the parameters and be ready to do large water changes and the like.

Clowns are like goldfish of freshwater they will eat anything. Stress might be the reason here. I see you started the tank on 17th and added fish on 25th ?

Is your tank cycled ?

how are all the params ?

tanks looks nice. but would suggest to have some patience , its like when using aqua soil for freshwater , you don't directly plant in it you let is cycle for a few weeks till the ammonia is leached out.

I have been testing all parameters and everything is well. Really bummed about this clown.

Nice tank dude.

Be patient when setting up your tank. It seems like your tank is still cycling. Being patient pays off at the end!

Test your parameters, and don't add any more live stock or corals at the moment. Get rid of the power compact light, and invest in T5's or MH's.

Buy a RO/DI unit so that you can make your own RO water. Never, ever use tap water.

Thanks. I am surprised that the tank is still cycling, since the parameters are now normal and have been like that for quite some time.

Lights will have to wait a bit, but are definitely happening.

I am using just RO water, but no tap.

My clown fish is still not eating. It has been a week already, I think he is looking thinner.

I am trying NLS pellets (for freshwater fish) and even tried their flakes, the clown would react to it if it floats near by, take it in its mouth and then spit it out.

Boy I am confused here.

Here's a video update #3, let me know what you think.

Got three new corals today, 1 hammer, 1 green ricordea and one duncan.

c0505cf4.jpg

You can see how the new ricordea fares against the older one

7e5fd716.jpg

My water parameters are all in check. Clown refused to eat even the frozen brine shrimp, not sure what to do with the guy.

Added 3 scarlet hermit crabs, these guys are a lot of run.

I am now researching the LED light options, not sure which one to choose yet.

So far I am thinking of ordering the Current USA TrueLumen Pro LED strip, 12 inches.

Probably will be going for another 50/50, although I would really want for the colours to pop. Should I instead go for the deep blue? My two current lights are both 50/50.

Would running a EcoTech Radion on a 10 gallon be a mistake (dimmed).

I am torn between doing this or just addin a Vertex Illumilux 12'' strip between my two power compacts.

Woo hoo, the clown seems to be eating the brine shrimp.

Great news! Make sure you remember to wean him onto other food too though.

Most will tell you flow.... You have enough, so they're wrong.

You need to reduce the nitrate or phosphate level's , through heavy wc's.

That IS the solution...

The solution to pollution, is dillution. ;)

Most will tell you flow.... You have enough, so they're wrong.

You need to reduce the nitrate or phosphate level's , through heavy wc's.

That IS the solution...

The solution to pollution, is dillution. ;)

Thanks, did a 20% water change yesterday. It shows up just in one corner.

Is it cyano? Like a red slime?

Yep, that's the one.

Archived