Pod Your Reef

greenex or ecolibrium? do either of these 2 ick treatments work?

nano-nemo

do greenex or ecolibrium work as ick control? and are they really invert safe like they say they are? i am a big fan of inverts and have many, and only 4 fish in a 46 bow. this is the last time a take a charity case from a freind, came in on his yellow tang he dropped off at my house.

i know i should quarantine the fish for at leat 4 weeks while the ick parasites go through their cycle in the main tank, but w/ 55lbs of live rock itll be difficult to catch them. i want to be able to do this and get it done right the first time.

how effective are uv sterilizers in this situation?

yes, and from now on i am quarantining all new fish after this crap

im a fan of greenex in certain situtations...I have also used it in a reef tank before. Shrimp do not do well in it though, stars, hermits and snails do not seem bothered...greenex really does work. Just dont overdose it. And I would do a double treatment...one week and then wait 3 days and then one week...just like the bottle says.

This is again, my personal experience with having used greenex in the past.

uv is useless here

ecolibrium...never used it

silversurfer

ive used greenex also. its good stuff, but jltruk said, shrimp dont do so well in it and dont get it on your carpet it stains

I got a TY that had HLLE and a nasty bacterial infection.......gave him fresh spinich everyday, and feed the tank with frozen brine soaked in Selcon and 4 drops of garlic extreme..........Started looking better in about 2-3 days and the HLLE and infections were gone in 3 weeks.

HLLE is a vitamin deficiency, it really can not be compared to ick. For HLLE you did exactly what you are supposed to do.

as far as the bacterial infection, without knowing what kind, and how far progressed it would be hard to tell you much about it. Also this is not really comparable to Ick.

HLLE can be caused by vitamins, stress, stray voltage, high nitrates, and who know's what else......the infection was more than likely a vibrio sp.

I guess I should have stated in the thread that, before you jump into a medication, try garlic and selcon first. In my case, I didn't need to use a malachite green solution (which is, as you know, a toxic substance, which can stain silicon and carpet!!) or Maracyn ( a systemic antibiotic that could have nuked my natural fauna as well).

Many people believe that a healthy fish will "naturally" kick the ich, because of normal slime production. Not to mention the number one cause of ick (which naturally lives in most SW tanks) is stress to the fish.

just my $.02

Archived