Coral Vue Hydros

new nano

irishbing

Hi, i was wondering about tanks. I want to get a 20 gal. tank. Should i put a hood on, what kind of lights, and what kind of equipment are good? I read the articles on this site, and i have an idea of what stuff i need. It said i dont really need a skimmer, is it good or not to have one? Thanks

Keep looking and you will find most of the answers to your questions. Make use of the search option. Look in the member’s reefs section. There are a lot of people that have 20 gal setups, see what equipment they are using.

How much do you like looking at algae blooms? Unless you know that your tap water is absolutely safe you should use ro water or distilled. Contaminants in the water can cause algae blooms and copper is deadly to inverts. It is much safer not to even bother with tap water.

Cellenzweig

You don't NEED a protein skimmer, but it definately makes things easier. If going skimmerless, be sure to be very religious with your water changes and I suggest you set up a fuge to grow some macro algae.

Cellenzweig

Everything I have read says the Remora is the way to go for a nano. As for making a fuge, it is just a seperate tank (above or below) that provides refuge to it's inhabitants (usually macro algae). If placed below, water is fed by gravity and returned by a pump. If above, the water is fed by a pump and returned by gravity. You want low flow in your fuge, so a powerhead should do the job. (As long as there isn't a lot of head). My fuge is fed by an eheim 2213.

Archived