inTank Media Baskets

I want to set Nano tank...my first time Help!!

jojo

This is my first time to marine aquarium. I want to set a nano tank. I don't know is it too hard for a beginner, but I really want to...please help me!!!

1.Can I do this?? any advice?

2.Can I put it in my bedroom? will the temperature be problem? because the temp. will change when I turn on/off my air. Also will there be any problem about the salt evaporate?

3.What should I start from? what size of tank? 12gallons?

Thanks

Sounds like you have a lot of research to do. A lot of those questions can be answered by doing a search on this board. NEVER TAKE ADVICE FROM YOUR LFS! temp in your bedroom wont be a problem as long as you have a heater.

4 Evap, get an auto top off

I good tank size to start would be a 20 gallon, depending on the space you have. 2 go smaller would require more mantinence. I would reccomend not getting the tank until you feel confertable with how to care for it, so spend time here. Enjoy!

I already seached for a month now...all about set up...but i just want to know is it different betweenNano and regular size aquarium...but I totally searched a lot...but really don't know how to start with a nano

Yeah its quite a bit different. You have to watch your parameters a bit more and be more religous in your water changes. Very slight changes in quality of water in anything less than a 20 or so could be disasterous. If you have never had a salt water tank before, I would suggest going with a 20 as reefsrule said and try to stick with hardier fish and maybe soft corals (ie. hard polyps, etc). Search around on the threads and you will find what types of corals are hardier than others. Also, be ready to spend some serious cash. Often new reefers try to skimp corners and save money on products, only to find that for a successful tank, you will spend the money in the future anyway. BUDGET - BUDGET-BUDGET. And be patient, most people recommend that after you add the sand, rock and water, that you wait for at least a month before adding anything to the tank to allow it to cycle. Then add things one at a time very slowly over several month....It becomes a major part of your everyday life.

But not to discourage you, the rewards is a beautiful tank that you are proud of, and that you can show people so that they can be amazed. Lots of fun and a great hobby for many years to come.

what did 20gallons tank equal to? 20inches tank?

ok....so what i need to buy for set up?

1.20gallons

2.how about top? open the top?

3.what kind of filter?

4.what kind of pump?

5.skimmer?

6.how about the light? what kind? and how many bulbs should be good?

7.heater

Thanks for all the help....

maroonclown

The demensions for a 20 gallon are as follows:

20 regular: 24"L X 12"W X 16"H

20 long: 30"L X 12"W X 12"H

The 20 long has the biological advantage, allowing for better gas exchange and more natural territories for fish. The 20 regular has the economic advantage, with equipment costing $5-$10 less ( the 20long shares hoods with a 29 gallon tank, I also use a 20 long). Obviously, you need to buy the tank. Open tops help with cooling, but are no good for fish that jump (eg, gobies and blennies). The filter system is the live rock, but I still run a powerfilter for circulation and a place to hide the heater. Ordinary power heads are all you should need. For the skimmer, the best choices are the Prizm skimmer (aprox. $70-$90) or the CPR Bak-Pak (aprox. $120). Both have pros and cons, and I personally recomend the Prizm. The one you should avoid is the Skilter in any of its incarnations. It is a piece of crap. The lighting depends on what it is you plan to keep. Even if you run a FOWLR, I would recommend 4 watts of light per gallon of water. The best kind is Metal Halide (expensive, but so worth every penny) or Power Compact (great, but it only beats halides on price). If you want a full blown reef, I would recommend a 150 watt DE (double ended), 10,000k (crisp, clean white light) metal halide. The choice for heaters: Ebo Jager 100 watts. That's it. PM me if you need more info on prices or more detail on certain things I've listed.

hey bro this hobby requires a lot of research. the folks here are happy to answer any questions you have but they can better help you if you will do some research and have some prior knoledge to the questions you ask. all most all of the answer you are looking for can be answered by clicking on the learn and discover buttons at the top of this page. hope that helps you find the info you're looking for.

Archived